Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Citizens of some countries require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada in addition to a Study Permit.

See the Government of Canada website for the list of countries and territories whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors.

If you require a visa to enter, you should select "Visitor Visa" when completing the form. This will allow you to be considered for a multiple-entry visa which in turn allows you to re-enter Canada as many times as you need for the duration of your visa validity.


The current fee is $100 CDN for a Temporary Resident Visa.

Those applying for Study Permits outside of Canada will be exempt from this fee; all others, including spouses and children of students, will be assessed the fee.

Watch How to Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa

If you are currently a student in Canada, you can apply for the visa online once you have an extended study permit.  Xiaobing Lin, Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and International Student Advisor, takes you through how to apply for your temporary resident visa in Canada online. 

NOTE: one of the documents required includes the Verification of Enrollment (VOE) for the upcoming term(s).

  • Graduate students can use the same document used in the SP extension application (which is requested though this FGSR form).
  • Undergraduate students who apply for their visa on August 1 or after can request VOE through Bear Tracks
  • Undergraduate students who apply for their visa before August 1 need to request VOE online from the Student Services Centre.  When you do, please indicate that you need this for the upcoming academic year prior to Aug 1 for your visa application.