Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my tax receipt?

Tax receipts are normally sent out within a couple of weeks from the date your cheque is deposited or your credit card transaction is processed.

To whom should I make out my cheque?

Cheques should be made out to the University of Alberta, with the name of the fund or purpose to which you want your gift directed written in the memo line or noted in an attached and signed letter.

Can I specify my gift to a specific area of interest?

The Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation has a variety of areas to which you can donate. Please contact us so that we can match your area of interest with a project or department within the Faculty.

Can I make an anonymous gift? Will I still receive my tax receipt?

The term 'anonymous gift' is in regards to the University's recognition of donors. Anonymous donors must list their personal information for tax purposes, but that information will remain confidential within the University of Alberta. In all University and public announcements, the donation will be listed as anonymous if requested by the donor.

Can I use my spouse's tax receipt on my tax return?

If you and your spouse are filing your tax returns, you can use either of your tax receipts, no matter the name on the receipt itself. It is best to consult your accountant to ensure the best return on your and your spouse's tax receipts.

I have lost my tax receipt or have noticed an error, who do I talk to about this?

Please contact us (add link) for a duplicate receipt or to have an error corrected.

I'd like to set up a scholarship in memory of someone - where do I start?

Call our office at 780.292.1168 or email to work through the necessary steps to honour the life of your family member or friend - whether through a scholarship or some other form of lasting recognition.

How can I give in my will?

You can choose to leave a gift in your will to the Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation at the U of A. This could include money, investments, property, real estate or other parts of your estate. By indicating your wish to donate in your will, you can make a substantial gift that won't impact your current lifestyle. For more information on giving through bequests, or to receive sample will wording please contact our office (include link)

I live outside Canada - can I still make a gift?

The Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation has many alumni and friends living in all parts of the world. Gifts received from alumni and friends living outside of Canada and the United States will be recognized with a Canadian charitable gift receipt. For more information on gifts from outside Canada, contact us (add link).

Is your online giving form secure?

Yes. For more information please contact our office.


If you have any other questions or need assistance deciding on the type of gift that best meets your needs, please contact:

Julian Solberg, 
Assistant Dean, Development
Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation
3-100 University Hall
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB Canada T6G 2H9

T 780.292.1168