Graduate Programs


Please ensure that you’ve reviewed all of the admission requirements and How-To steps before consulting the Frequently Asked Questions, as those sections contain very important information.

Do I need to identify a potential supervisor on my application?

Yes. All prospective students must list a potential supervisor on their applications. All MCoach applicants must list a potential supervisor as well as a potential mentor coach. See Step 3 for more information on how to contact a potential supervisor/mentor coach.

Am I able to take my degree online?

No. At this time the Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation is not offering graduate courses online.

What types of funding are available to me?

There are many different types of funding available to both Master’s and Doctoral students. Please review the Funding and Awards section of our website for more detailed information.

What documents do I require in order to apply?

Canadian students:

  • Complete transcripts/marksheets from all previously attended institutions;
  • A degree certificate if conferral date is not clearly marked on transcripts
  • Three letters of reference;
  • A resume/CV;
  • Letter of Intent.

International students:

  • Complete transcripts/marksheets from all previously attended institutions in original language;
  • Complete transcripts/marksheets from all previously attended institutions translated to English;
  • A degree certificate in both English and original language if conferral date is not clearly marked on transcripts;Proof of English language proficiency, if degree was obtained from an institution where English was not the language of instruction. Exemptions of the English language proficiency requirement can be found here ;
  • Three letters of reference;
  • A resume/CV;
  • Letter of Intent.

Can I mail in my transcripts?

Please do not mail in transcripts during the application process. These transcripts will not be accepted. Rather, transcripts must be uploaded to your online application. Please ensure that you review “Acceptance Guidelines for Uploaded Transcripts” under Step 4.

If you are recommended for admission to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, you will be required to provide official, hard copy transcripts at that time.

What is the deadline to apply?

The deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. (Mountain Time Zone) February 1, 2019 for applications with a start date of September 2019 or January 2020. This applies to both Canadian as well as International applicants.

How much does it cost to submit an application?

The application fee is $100 CAD. Once the application fee is paid, the application has been submitted, and all documents have been uploaded, the review process can begin.

Can I make changes to my application after I have paid the fee and it has been submitted?

Yes. Even though the application has been submitted, students are still able to upload documents, alter reference contact information, etc. 

When looking at academic requirements for my application, what counts as a “related degree?”

A degree in Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation or a degree related to our Faculty's areas of research is not mandatory; current/past experiences, research interests, etc. can be assessed for admission. However, if your proposed supervisor deems you to be lacking knowledge in a specific topic, they could recommend you take a course(s) to increase your background in that area.

Am I able to complete my degree part time?

It is strongly recommended that students pursuing a MSc or MA thesis-based degree be a full time student throughout their program. Permission is required from students’ thesis supervisor and the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies upon admission to the program for students to be part-time. Our faculty does not accept part-time PhD students. Students pursuing a course-based degree (MA, MCoach) are able to study part time, unless they hold a Graduate Assistantship, which requires them to be registered full time.

Are there any international exchange opportunities available for students in this faculty?

  • Yonsei-Alberta Dual Degree Doctoral Program
  • Study Abroad 

Am I able to apply for this program while completing my Bachelor’s or Master’s?

Yes. As long as you are in the last year of study and will complete your program before starting in our faculty, you are able to apply. Degree conferral must be confirmed by December 31st if admitted to Fall (September start) term and April 30 if admitted to Winter (January start) term. Please ensure that you are providing us with your most up-to-date transcripts in your application.

How many credits am I able to transfer into my program from another institution before I am admitted?

Course based students are able to transfer up to nine graduate level credits into their program, while thesis based students are able to transfer up to six graduate level credits. The possibility of transfer credit must be discussed with the proposed supervisor.

Where can I find more information in regards to the degrees offered by the Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation?