There are many other great precepting resources available online. Feel free to review these resources to further support you in your precepting role.
Preceptor Development Webinars:
- Learners in Difficulty - When placements don't go as planned: presented by Janice Yeung BSc(Pharm), PharmD, Lecturer and Director of the Office of Experiential Education at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences University of British Columbia. In this 32 minute presentation, you will learn more about a framework to analyze a student in difficulty and learn strategies for managing and supporting the student to resolve identified problems. The associated PowerPoint slides are available here.
- Preceptor Update on the Entry-to-Practice PharmD Program: Delivered by Jill Hall and Ann Thompson on October 10/11, 2018. This 40-min presentation provides an overview of the components of the new PharmD program, implemented this fall. It reviews the on-campus and experiential components of the program, rotation development opportunities, and resources available to preceptors.
- Preceptor Learning Styles Presentation: Delivered by Marlene Gukert and Michelle MacDonald, this presentation provides foundational information regarding learning styles, as well as some of the controversies or myths associated with them. Learn about strategies to use and apply learning styles practically into precepting practice and use the accompanying document - Pharmacists Inventory of Learning Styles Assessment - to assess your own learning style as a preceptor.
- Student Learning Plans: Actively Involving Students in their Learning. (Delivered by Dr. Cosette Lemelin - Centre for Teaching and Learning - in March 2018) In this 50 minute webinar, the purpose of and expectations for learning plans will be discussed. Considerations for preceptors on how to support students in self-directed learning will also be reviewed.
Other Web-based Courses:
- Dalhousie University Preceptor eLearning Course - This web-based course provides additional useful information about precepting. It includes a video clip of a student perspective on Preceptorship, including the role of preceptor, important attributes of a preceptor, student expectations of his/her preceptor and even advice for preceptors.
Teaching Strategies: ASHP Preceptor Tool Kit
- The following are helpful articles on various topics
Teaching Skills for Pharmacy Practice Educators
- The Teaching Skills Handbook, prepared by the Office of Experiential Education, UBC, explores topics such as how we learn, preparing to teach, teaching with patients, observation, feedback and assessment.
Advocacy Inquiry Video
- View Webinar - Sometimes, I Just Don't Know if I'm Getting Through-Principles of Framing & Delivering Effective Feedback for Pharmacy Residents. You will need Windows Media Player 9 or higher to view the presentation, and you will also be required to enter your email address.