Apply online for our graduate programs
Application Step 1:
Submit your application form
and supporting documents by our early December (date TBD) application deadline. Minimum academic requirements and the online application are on the website of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR)
Application Step 2: Supporting documents (below) to attach to your electronic application form as PDF files:
- transcripts/marksheets & degree certificates, plus English language translations if required;
- three (3) letters of recommendation, submitted by the referees -- applicants are responsible for following up with their referees to see that the references are submitted;
- proof of English language proficiency if required, e.g., TOEFL or IELTS (Academic) exam results. Check the FGSR's website to see the most up-to-date information regarding exemptions from this requirement;
- curriculum vitae/resume -- three (3) pages or less, including publications and references;
- statement of Purpose -- in 500 words or less (1 single-spaced page) tell us why you want to study physics at the University of Alberta;
- GRE test results, if available. (Please note that the GRE is not required);
- the Request for Financial Support (PDF, 40.8k) if you want to be considered for funding from graduate teaching and/or research assistantships.
Attach only the documents requested above
Hard copies of any documents are not required during the application process.
Application Step 3: Complete applications will be reviewed by our Graduate Admissions Committee. Applicants will be contacted by email after the Committee makes a final recommendation about the application; it might be several weeks before a final decision is made. Please check the How to Apply FAQs page for more information.