Apply online for our graduate programs
Application Step 1:
Submit your application form
and supporting documents by our December 7 application deadline. Minimum academic requirements and the online application are on the website of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR)
Application Step 2: Supporting documents (below) to attach to your electronic application form as PDF files:
- transcripts/marksheets & degree certificates, plus English language translations if required;
- three (3) letters of recommendation, submitted by the referees -- applicants are responsible for following up with their referees to see that the references are submitted;
- proof of English language proficiency if required, e.g., TOEFL or IELTS (Academic) exam results. Check the FGSR's website to see the most up-to-date information regarding exemptions from this requirement;
- curriculum vitae/resume -- three (3) pages or less, including publications and references;
- statement of Purpose -- in 500 words or less (1 single-spaced page) tell us why you want to study physics at the University of Alberta;
- GRE test results, if available. (Please note that the GRE is not required);
- the Request for Financial Support (PDF, 40.8k) if you want to be considered for funding from graduate teaching and/or research assistantships.
Attach only the documents requested above
Hard copies of any documents are not required during the application process.
Application Step 3: Complete applications will be reviewed by our Graduate Admissions Committee. Applicants will be contacted by email after the Committee makes a final recommendation about the application; it might be several weeks before a final decision is made. Please check the How to Apply FAQs page for more information.