You can apply for emergency funding if you have encountered a sudden financial shortfall or unexpected expenses.
Our Emergency Student Loans program offers short-term, interest-free loans designed to cover essential living expenses, such as rent or groceries (they cannot be used to pay for university tuition or fees). Unlike bursaries, emergency loans must be repaid.
Augustana students: contact Augustana Student Services to apply for an emergency student loan on your campus.
In order to qualify for an emergency student loan, you must:
- Be enrolled full-time in the current term
- Have satisfactory academic standing based on your most recent term
- Undergraduate students: minimum 2.0 GPA
- Graduate students: minimum 2.7 GPA
- Be able to demonstrate your ability to repay the loan
- Be able to demonstrate that you are facing urgent financial issues
How to apply
- Download and complete the Emergency Student Loan Application. (Currently, this form is only available in paper/PDF format.)
- Book an appointment with an advisor to discuss your financial situation and present documentation that supports your financial need. To schedule an appointment, contact Student Connect. (If filling out the email form, select “Emergency Funding Appointments” as the subject.)
- Bring the completed Emergency Student Loan Application to your appointment, along with the following items:
- UAlberta ONEcard
- Documents to verify emergency student loan request (e.g. rent receipts, utility bills, dental estimate)
- Evidence of ability to repay emergency student loan within three months (e.g. upcoming government student loan disbursement, pay slips, letter of employment)
If your application is approved by your advisor at your consultation session, you will receive a same-day cash payment. Cash payments are disbursed on the third floor of the Administration Building, at the Financial Services office.
Repaying your loan
Emergency student loans are expected to be fully repaid within three months of the loan disbursement. This ensures that other students are able to benefit from the program.
Should your financial circumstances change during the repayment period, please book another appointment with an advisor to discuss your options.
Payments must be made at the Financial Services office, on the third floor of the Administration Building.
Accepted forms of payment include:
- Money order
If you do not repay your loan by the deadline, a financial hold will be placed on your account and you will not be able register for courses, obtain transcripts, or convocate until the loan is repaid in full. For more information about this policy see the University Calendar.