Glossary of Terms

Application Fee
All applications to the University of Alberta must be accompanied by an application fee. The application fee is subject to change and is generally lower for those who have previously applied to the University of Alberta. 

Bear Tracks
Bear Tracks is the online registration and records management system for the University of Alberta. Your ATEP advisor will complete your course registrations for you. You use this system to access your timetable and course registrations and access other information you need as a University of Alberta student, for example, you would use Bear Tracks to change any personal information, print tax receipts, look for financial holds on your file, etc. It is very important that you remember your CCID and password, and it is equally important that you do not reveal this information to anyone.

Campus Computing Identification. You will receive a CCID once you apply to the U of A. You will also receive a temporary password. Change the temporary password to one that you will not forget. Once you have this you can track your application progress.  

GPA - Grade Point Average
GPA is Grade Point Average. This is the average of all of the marks a student earns during a particular period of study. If a student has been RTW more than once, they will not be admitted to the U of A until they have successfully completed a degree at another institution.  

Letter of Acceptance
You will receive an official letter of acceptance through email from Launchpad, as well as a letter from ATEP with program details.   

Official and unofficial transcripts
ATEP will evaluate your eligibility for admission initially with unofficial transcripts that you can send to Once you have submitted your official application for admission, you will also upload unofficial transcripts directly into Launchpad. In order for a student to receive final acceptance to the Faculty of Education, students must request official transcripts from all of the post-secondary institutions they have attended. Official transcripts have the seal of the institution. They are never faxed, but mailed directly from the institution to the University of Alberta. We cannot request the transcripts; a student must request them.

Registrar's Office
The Office of the Registrar is the office where you will send your official transcripts, application form, and application fee.  

RTW - Required to Withdraw
A student must be in good standing to be accepted in the Faculty. If a student has been RTW, or Required to Withdraw from a post-secondary institution they will not be accepted into the U of A until they have completed 24 courses with an acceptable GPA at a different post-secondary institution.  

Transferable credit
Transferable credits are those courses that the University of Alberta accepts from other post-secondary institutions - either colleges or universities. Students can bring no more than 60 credits from another institution to the University of Alberta. Transferable credits are negotiated between different post-secondary institutions and are published in the Alberta Transfer Guide. Not all courses a student takes at other colleges or universities will necessarily transfer to the Faculty of Education. ATEP student advisors are available to help students with questions of transferability. 

Tuition Deposit
Once you are accepted you will have to pay a tuition deposit to hold your seat in the program and allow us to register you in courses. This fee is deducted from your total tuition.