Frequently Asked Questions


Is this program restricted to Aboriginal students?

Due to the increased demand for the program, ATEP has recently made the decision to restrict the program to Indigenous applicants for the upcoming intake.

Can I enter the program from high school?

Yes, ATEP accepts students directly from high school. Please email to find out about admission cycles for upcoming cohorts.

Does ATEP accept transfer students?

Yes, ATEP accepts transfer students from post-secondary institutions, including other faculties within the University of Alberta. Please email to find out about admission cycles for upcoming cohorts.

Who can I contact for information?

For general inquiries, please email, or use the Contact Us link on the right-hand side of the page. If you would like to set up an initial admissions consultation, please email to arrange a time to meet. Please allow up to two business days for a response.


Application Process

How do I apply for admission?

Please refer to the Application Process page of the ATEP website for a step-by-step guide. 

When should I apply?

Applications open in October and close in March, and we recommend applying as early as possible. The sooner you apply and submit your required documents, the sooner we can evaluate your application. 

What academic qualifications do I need to get into ATEP?

Please refer to the Admission Requirement page of the ATEP website for specific requirements.

How is my admission GPA calculated?

The Admission Grade Point Average (AGPA) is based on all university transferable coursework completed in the most recent two terms of study if they contain a minimum of 24 units. If those two terms contain less than 24 units, all work in the next most recent term(s) is included in the calculation until the minimum total of 24 units is reached. For applicants who have attempted less than 24 units of transferable postsecondary work, the AGPA is based on all university or university transfer credits attempted along with applicable high school requirements.

What is the lowest grade acceptable for a transfer course from another university or college?

The lowest grade acceptable can vary depending on the institution from which you are transferring. Any course with a grade lower than 60% or lower than C- will not be transferable.

Do courses expire?

All transferable coursework will be considered for use toward degree requirements, regardless of age. We evaluate your transfer credit upon admission based on existing transfer agreements accessible through Transfer Alberta.

What documentation is required for admission?

Please visit the Required Documents section of the ATEP website. After submitting their application, students are encouraged to log into their Launchpad account for a complete list of required documentation. 

Do I need a Criminal Records Check to enter the program?

Students do not need a Criminal Record Check for admission to the program. However, school boards require student teachers to complete a Criminal Record Check (through the RCMP or City Police) and an Intervention Record Check (through Alberta Child and Youth Services) before beginning a practicum.



How much will my program cost?

Please visit the U of A's Tuition and Scholarships page for information.



Are ATEP's online and on-campus programs of the same quality?

Yes, the online program meets all of the same standards and rigor as the on-campus program. You will graduate with the same Bachelor of Education degree as the on-campus students.

What is the difference between Elementary and Secondary Education?

Students in Elementary Education take a generalist program (and do not choose a major or minor) which is directed towards teaching Kindergarten through Grade 6, while students in Secondary Education are specialists with a subject major and minor, focusing on Grades 7-12.

Why is my Program Sheet different from my friend's Program Sheet?

Program Sheets are specific to the student and based on the type of degree and previous post-secondary experience. Students must follow their individual Program Sheet.

What is Field Experience?

Field experience provides student teachers with an opportunity to work alongside a mentor teacher and develop their skills, strategies, and professional identity within a school setting.

In the process of completing your Bachelor of Education degree, you will complete 14 weeks of field experience, which is split between two practicums:

  • Introductory Field Experience (IFX) - 5 weeks
  • Advanced Field Experience (AFX) - 9 weeks
When do classes begin?

Courses begin in September. ATEP's classes are scheduled over three terms per year (Fall, Winter and Spring semesters).

  • Fall - September to December
  • Winter - January to April
  • Spring - May to June
How long is the program?

A Bachelor of Education degree consists of 120 credits of coursework. ATEP offers three pathways to completion. Intakes vary from year to year and may include:

  • a four-year, full-time program
  • a two-year transfer or after-degree program
  • a six-year, part-time program



What degree do ATEP students graduate with?

Once you have completed the required courses, you will qualify for a Bachelor of Education Degree in Education from the University of Alberta. Please note there are two streams to choose from (Elementary and Secondary-Language Major).

What are ATEP students able to teach after graduation?

The ATEP Bachelor of Education degree is a generalist program that prepares students to teach various subjects, as needed by future employers. Although the program focuses on elementary school, an Alberta teaching certificate allows you to teach kindergarten through grade 12 in this province.

Graduates of the Secondary After Degree Program will be able to teach Indigenous Language in a secondary setting (grades 7-12) as well as kindergarten through grade 12.

Are graduates able to teach in another province?

Once a teacher has been certificated in Alberta, they can apply for teacher certification in another province. Each province/territory in the country has a Department/Ministry of Education that conducts teacher certification for their jurisdiction.