The UARE provides a unique opportunity for talented senior undergraduate students from key partner universities around the world to conduct research under the supervision of faculty members who are experts in their field. We are proud to offer research projects in a wide variety of disciplines, especially our university's signature areas, which are precision health, energy systems, and intersections of gender.
Students gain hands-on research experience working under an expert in their academic discipline and receive an award of $6,000 CAD from the University of Alberta, which will help cover the costs associated with participating in the 12 week program.
Research placements are typically available during the winter (January to April) and summer (May to August), but alternate start dates may be accommodated depending on the host professor.
University of Alberta International provides interns with full support for before, during and after their placement. Each intern is offered the following:
- An in-person orientation and campus registration
- Professional development seminars
- Academic networking opportunities
- An opportunity to present their research during a poster symposium
Each intern also has the option to participate in the following activities:
- Trips to the Canadian Rocky Mountains (Banff or Jasper)
- Weekly social programming
- Cultural events offered in Canada's "Festival City"
For Faculty Members
The UARE program places talented interns with UAlberta researchers. Learn about hosting an intern.