The Department of Economics at the University of Alberta offers three graduate programs in Economics: a 12 month course-based MA in Economics, a 24 month course-based MA in Economics and Finance, and a PhD program. Our MA programs provide students with the theoretical and applied skills needed to enter the workforce or continue in a PhD program.
Graduates of our MA programs have success finding jobs in a variety of public and private sector organizations including the provincial and federal governments, the Competition Bureau of Canada, TransAlta, ATB Financial, and the Bank of China.
Graduates of our MA programs who continue their education enter PhD programs in Economics and Finance at a number of universities, including the Universities of Alberta, Calgary, Toronto, and Western Ontario. Graduates from out PhD program have found positions at Mount Royal University, MacEwan University, Wilfred Laurier University, and the University of Regina as well as provincial and federal governments.
Our program consists of 30-40 students – approximately 20 MA in Economics, 5 MA in Economics and Finance and 15 PhD students. Faculty and students are involved in the following areas of research:
- Applied Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics
- Environmental, Natural Resource, and Energy Economics
- Monetary and Financial Economics
- International and Development Economics
- Labour and Education Economics
- Industrial Organization and Regulatory Economics
- Public Economic and Law and Economics
- Health Economics