The following are frequently asked questions. If you have any specific questions not covered on this section, please contact our office at onecard@ualberta.ca.

Can I still get my ONEcard if I don't have a piece of government issued photo ID?

Yes. You must have 2 pieces of government issued non-photo ID if you do not have government issued photo ID. Examples of government issued non-photo ID include your birth certificate, health care card, social insurance card, temporary license.

Will I lose my building access if I replace my ONEcard?

Maybe. We are able to update some door access systems; however, we do not have access to all campus door control systems. It is best to check with your building administrator or contact us directly. If you need to retain your old ONEcard until your new card can be set up, let one of our customer service staff know before we print your new card.

If I make a deposit to my ONEcard online with a credit card is it considered a purchase or a cash advance?

Deposits to ONEcard accounts are always processed as purchases.

Can I have my "preferred name" or nickname printed on my ONEcard?

Yes, ONEcards will be printed with the preferred name where applicable. All preferred names must be registered in Bear Tracks. If you register a preferred name after you have picked up your ONEcard, you are able to exchange your card for a new one with payment of the $15 exchange fee.

As a result of the TRC's Calls to Action, I have reclaimed my Aboriginal name. Can I have my reclaimed name printed on my ONEcard?

Yes, ONEcards can be printed with your reclaimed Aboriginal name. In response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada's (TRC) Final Report, specifically the seventeenth (17) call to action, the ONEcard office will waive all fees associated with re-issuing your ONEcard with your reclaimed Aboriginal name. For more information, contact First Peoples’ House

How much does it cost to print or photocopy one page using my ONEcard? And why doesn't it cost less to print double-sided?

Printing and photocopying costs 12 cents per printed page (35 cents for colour). If printing on both sides of a single page (using the double-sided printing option), the cost is 24 cents (12 x 2). The cost does not decrease because the cost recovery is based on ONEcard network infrastructure and staffing costs rather than the cost of a single sheet of paper.

What should I do if I have lost my ONEcard?

You can report your ONEcard lost on our website 24 hours a day. During office hours, you can contact the ONEcard Office at (780) 492-7924. If you have access to buildings or labs on campus, contact your building administrator immediately to have the access suspended.

If I lose my card, do I lose the money I have in my account?

No. Your funds remain on your account, which you will be able to access with a replacement card. Please note that lost ONEcards should be reported immediately so that no one can access your account without your knowledge.

What happens to my account money at the end of the year?

Your ONEcard account balance does not expire and will automatically carry over to the next year. You can continue to use your ONEcard for financial transactions indefinitely. Refunds of any account balances will be made only if requested though our ONEcard Account Refund Form.

Do I have to change my photo to get a new ONEcard?

We require current photos (less than 2 years old) to be printed on ONEcards. Please feel free to use our online photo submission site to select a photo of your choosing. Alternately, we are able to take a new photo in our office.

Can I withdraw money from my ONEcard account?

Cash withdrawals are not allowed. See previous question for account refunds.

Does my ONEcard cost anything?

The ONEcard program covers the cost of the first ONEcard issued for students enrolled in credit courses and University of Alberta employees. Lost card replacements are available at a cost of $25 per card.

My ONEcard replacement date is this year - what do I do?

In order to maintain the integrity of the photo ID, we print a 5-year Card Replacement Date on the back of each ONEcard. If you are still eligible for a ONEcard, we will exchange your old one for no charge after the date has passed.

Why won’t my ONEcard work for Van Vliet Centre (VVC) facilities during spring/summer terms?

VVC membership fees are assessed on a term by term basis. If you are not taking classes on premise during the spring/summer terms, you may not be assessed the Athletics and Recreation fee automatically. Students who are not assessed Athletics and Recreation fee may pay for a membership from Facility Services.

I have money in my Department balance. What does this mean?

Funds in this balance have been transferred to your account by an internal department and are spendable anywhere ONEcard cash is accepted on campus. You may see funds in this balance for:

  • Student Union Opt-out Fees
  • Funds transfers by interdepartmental request form
  • Survey completion credits