Controlled Goods Program

1. What is the Controlled Goods Program (CGP)?

The Controlled Goods Program (CGP) is an industrial security program that is authorized by the Defence Production Act (DPA). The Controlled Goods Directorate (CGD) administers the CGP to prevent the proliferation of tactical and strategic assets and build up Canada's defence trade controls. In June 2000, Canada and the United States acknowledged a plan for national legislation and regulations relating to Controlled Goods and/or Controlled Technology (CG/CT). The CGP was put into place on April 30, 2001. Public Works and Government Services Canada is the federal agency responsible for this program.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada is the authority that can make a determination as to what is and what is not CG/CT.

Controlled goods and technology are defined under schedule (s.35) of the Defence Production Act. They are listed as Group 2, Group 5 (section 5504), and Group 6 of the Export Control List. These groups are districted as follow:

Group 2: automatic weapons, firearms, ammunition, components, projectors, bombs, planes, tanks, missiles, chemicals, explosives, and related equipment and accessories;

Group 5: global navigation satellite system, ground control stations, nuclear weapon design and testing equipment (section 5504); and

Group 6: missile technology.

Note that a controlled substance is not regulated by the CGP. Health Canada's Office of Controlled Substances regulates the purchase, possession, use, import and/or export of controlled substances. The University of Alberta Supply and Management Services ensures that the purchase, import, receipt, use and record retention of controlled substances for the purpose of research are compliant with relevant government legislation.

2. Why is the University of Alberta registered under the CGP?

Registration under the CGP is mandatory for anyone who examines, possesses and/or transfers controlled goods/technology in Canada. It is possible that the University of Alberta will need to make
use of controlled goods or technology within the limitations of a research project. The University of Alberta registered with the program on January 23, 2012.

In order to purchase, use, possess, examine or transfer any controlled goods or technology, one must be registered for the CGP, unless they meet the requirements for an exemption.

3. How does this affect my work at the University?

All employees, temporary workers, students and visitors to the University of Alberta who wish to access or make use of controlled goods/controlled technology must apply for authorization to Protective Services. Standard processing time is 6-8 weeks. No security assessment is required if the employee, director or officer does not access controlled goods and/or controlled technology.

4. What does a security assessment encompass?

Different information will be requested depending on your status at the University (employee, student, visitor). Typically, an applicant must provide all the necessary information as to personal references, criminal history, places of residence and employment and educational histories for the five years immediately preceding the date of the applicant's consent to undergo the security assessment.

5. What happens if I do not comply?

If an employee, director or officer does not consent to a security assessment, they cannot have access to controlled goods and/or controlled technology. This may inherently interfere with the course of the research. The legislation governing the CGP provides for severe penalties for non-compliance ranging from $25,000 to $2,000,000, or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years, or both.

6. Where can I get more information on this Program?

The controlled goods program is administered by University of Alberta Protective Services. An ad-hoc authorization committee assists in the implementation of security plans and the evaluation of
applications for authorization to have access to controlled goods/controlled technology. University stakeholders represented include the Research Services Office, Environment, Health and Safety, and Information Technology (Provost and Vice President (Academic)).

For more information please contact Jim Newman at For legislation information, please refer to the Controlled Goods Directorate website.