Student WCB Coverage and Reporting

What is Workers Compensation?

The Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) is a no fault insurance program governed by the Alberta Workers’ Compensation Act. This legislation provides for coverage for accidents that arise out of a course of employment or value for service. Disability management and payment of benefits is directly determined and managed by the WCB for qualified persons injured on the job as a result of work related injuries. This may include injuries out of your work as an employee, student or volunteer.

Contact Workers' Compensation Alberta directly at 1-866-922-9221 (inside Alberta) or 1-800-661-9608 (Outside of Alberta).

Who is Covered

Student WCB Coverage

Students that are registered and attending the University of Alberta are covered by WCB for injuries that arise from participating in an activity that is in the direct pursuit of their degree or accreditation. (See the WCB Student Fact Sheet for more information).

Student coverage is for injuries which may occur in the course of your ‘work as a student’. Contact the WCB for coverage options for activities conducted in personal time including participation in student groups. The Office of the Registrar will be contacted by Workers' Compensation Alberta to confirm your registration and hours worked ‘as a student’ while at the University of Alberta. Employers will be contacted directly if injury occurs as a result of your work as a practicum student.

Students in Alberta

In accordance with Section 7 of the Alberta Workers’ Compensation Regulation AR325/2002, students who are registered in a secondary school are considered workers of the Government of Alberta and may qualify for workers compensation when:

  • the student is a resident in Alberta.
  • the student is registered in and physically attending the University of Alberta which leads to a degree or certification.

Distance Learners

A distance learner is a student who is completing their course(s) from a location away from the campus through print based materials in combination with web support, e-mail and fax correspondence with instructors.

Distance Learner students that are residents of Alberta and are undertaking a practicum in Canada may be covered by WCB only while on their practicum site. The employer is responsible for complying with the workers' compensation legislation of that jurisdiction. Contact WCB Alberta to confirm if coverage can be extended to that jurisdiction.

Practicum Placement with Employers

Student coverage for workers compensation is extended for students who are participating in a work experience program in Alberta as part of their practicum requirements.

Employers are responsible for complying with the workers' compensation legislation of any other jurisdiction, even when WCB Alberta has extended out of province coverage.

The student’s employer must contact the WCB in the jurisdiction they will be working in to determine coverage. The student can then contact WCB Alberta to determine if coverage can be extended by the Alberta WCB. Every case is situational and will be reviewed by the WCB on its own merit.

The employment out of Alberta will last less than 12 continuous month.

Out of Alberta

The student is responsible for determining workers compensation coverage in jurisdictions outside of Alberta.

  • Every jurisdiction will have specific requirements for workers compensation insurance coverage. Contact the jurisdiction you will be conducting your work in for confirmation. This may include purchasing a standalone insurance policy.
  • WCB Alberta coverage may be covered for the first 12 months out of Alberta.
  • Students should contact Alberta WCB to confirm if WCB-Alberta can extend coverage to where they will be working as a student.
  • Benefits cannot be received from both Alberta and the other jurisdiction. If you chose to claim in Alberta, a completed form must be received by the WCB within 30 days from the date of accident.
  • Contact WCB at 780-498-3999 or 1-866-922-9221.

When Does WCB Coverage Not Apply?

Workers compensation is intended to provide benefits for student injuries while in the course of study.

Workers compensation is not intended to provide benefits for students who suffer accidents while engaging or participating in extra-curricular sporting, recreational, social or personal fulfilment activities which are not a current academic requisite or required as part of the course of study in which the student is registered.

Injuries incurred while student workers are participating in sporting or athletic activities are not considered compensable except in limited circumstances. When in doubt, submit a claim to WCB.

Workers Compensation does not cover ambulance costs. Ambulance costs for students who suffer an accident and who are in need of medical aid to a hospital are covered by Alberta Advanced Education. Invoices should be sent for payment to: Tricia Hurry, HR Program Coordinator, 7th floor, Phipps-McKinnon Building, 10020-101A Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3G2.

Reporting a Claim – Injury Report Instructions for Students

All accidents or incidents should be reported as soon as possible to your Supervisor, Workers' Compensation Alberta, and the University of Alberta. WCB is responsible for managing and adjusting all claims that qualify for student WCB coverage. Contact WCB at 780-498-3999 or 1-866-922-9221.

The University of Alberta's WCB account number for students is 316150/8.

1. Employers must report known incidents within 72 hours.
2. Students must complete and sign the WCB online incident reporting form and fax to: 780-427-5863 (in Edmonton) or 1-800-661-1993 (within Canada).
3. Students should report injuries as required under the University of Alberta’s Environment, Health & Safety guidelines. To report an incident, complete and submit an on-line incident form.

Clearance Letter – Certificate of Insurance

A clearance letter confirms if WCB Alberta coverage is in effect. Letters are free of charge and can be requested directly by calling the WCB at 780-498-3999 or 1-866-922-9221.