Report an incident

For serious incidents

The Government of Alberta requires that all serious and potentially serious incidents (including those related to COVID-19) be reported immediately to Alberta Labour. Serious incidents include the following:

  • Injury or incident that results in the death of a worker
  • Injury or incident that results in worker admitted to hospital (as an inpatient)
  • Unplanned or uncontrolled explosion, fire, or flood that causes (or had the potential to cause) a serious injury
  • Collapse or failure of any part of a building or structure that is necessary for its structural integrity
  • The collapse of a hoist, crane, or derrick

NOTE: Serious or potentially serious incidents related to COVID-19 include the following:

  • Fatalities and hospitalizations related to incidents where COVID-19 was acquired as a result of the worker's engagement in a work activity
  • Incidents where a worker at the worksite is "exposed" to confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19, where exposure includes the following:
    • Incidents where the worksite is not following the rules, procedures, and guidance related to COVID-19 protection and a worker is exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19
    • Incidents where the COVID-19 controls in place have failed and a worker is exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19
  • Where a worker has been notified by AHS as part of the contact-tracing protocol that they may have been in close contact with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19

To report a serious incident

  1. Call the Control Centre: 780-492-5555.
  2. Report your incident, provide your phone number, and request a call back from the HSE on-call person.
  3. Complete and submit an incident report. NOTE: For COVID-19 related serious or potentially serious incidents, please respect the privacy of the individual who may be COVID-19 positive; do not use the individual's name. In your report, note only the worksite and/or responsible supervisor.

For all other incidents

  1. Complete and submit an incident report.
  2. Your supervisor will then be notified to complete the second part of the form.
  3. You and your supervisor may need to file a Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) report as detailed below.
WCB Reporting


  1. You may need to file a WCB report in the event of the following:
    • Lost time or the need to temporarily or permanently modify work beyond the date of the accident, death, or permanent disability (amputation, hearing loss, etc.)
    • A disabling or potentially disabling condition caused by occupational exposure or activity (such as a mental health concern, poisoning, infection, respiratory disease, dermatitis, etc.)
    • The need for medical or mental health treatment beyond first aid (as assessed by a physician, psychologist, physiotherapist, chiropractor, etc.)
  2. Follow the WCB process outlined here. 
  3. Follow up with your supervisor to make sure all reporting is complete.


  1. You must report all incidents/injuries. Follow the WCB process outlined here.
Vehicle-related incidents

Follow the steps below to report the collision:

  1. Submit an HSE incident form
  2. Submit a Protective Services incident form (for damage <$2000) or call 780-492-5050
  3. Submit an insurance claim form 

Why report an incident?

Incident reporting allows us to observe trends and find opportunities to implement safe work practices at the university. Read about some of the lessons we've learned from past incidents!


Employees, Students

Safety & Security
VP Services & Finance