Work-related Injury + Illness

Follow these steps if you’ve experienced a work-related injury or illness.

1. Seek first aid + medical attention immediately if it’s required

Common work-related injuries or illnesses may include strains, sprains, contusions, cuts, needle stick injuries, concussions, and occupational diseases (e.g., chemical exposure). This is not an exhaustive list. The university is responsible for transportation (including costs) from the site of the accident to the nearest hospital, physician’s office or other appropriate facility for the initial treatment of your injury.

2. Inform the WCB about the work-related injury + illness

The Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) is a disability insurance organization that protects staff members against the financial impact of work-related injuries. The WCB must be informed of all work-related injuries or illnesses.

  1. If you visited a doctor, have them submit a Physician’s First Report and send it to WCB within 48 hours of your visit. Request a copy of the form.
  2. Report your injury to your manager and have them complete a WCB employer’s report within 72 hours of your injury and send a copy to Human Resources, Health, Safety and Environment at
  3. Complete a WCB Worker's Report to the best of your abilities within 72 hours of your injury and send a copy to Human Resources, Health, Safety and Environment at

3. Submit an incident report

Work with your supervisor to complete and submit the University of Alberta’s Health, Safety and Environment Incident Report. Incident reporting allows us to observe trends and find opportunities to implement safe work practices at the university.

4. Submit a claim to the university's supplementary health care plan

If an ambulance was required for emergency transportation to the nearest hospital when you were first injured, a claim for the ambulance cost is to be submitted to the University's Supplementary Health Care Plan. Please visit Making a Benefits Claim for more information.

If you have any questions related to this topic or would like to discuss your options if you are not eligible for the Supplementary Health Care Plan, please speak with your supervisor.

5. Return to work

Depending on the nature/severity of the injury, you may remain at work or return to work immediately after the injury. If the injury requires medical attention, your doctor will provide restrictions and limitations so that you can work with your manager to arrange modified duties. Stay in touch with your manager to plan and implement modified hours/duties if needed. In many cases, modified work can begin the same or next day.

A University of Alberta return to work consultant will contact you to assist you in your recovery and return to work if required. The consultant will work with you to make a plan for returning to work based on your temporary medical restrictions or limitations, and the worksite’s operational needs. They’ll also collaborate with you and WCB to evaluate and adjust the plan to your recovery as required.

Examples of supports that WCB may provide include medications, treatment, access to specialists, assessments, glasses, and orthotics. Please contact your WCB case manager if you have questions.

Actively participate in your recovery by collaborating with your health providers, including attending appointments and following their treatment recommendations. Maintain regular communication with your manager, return to work consultant and WCB case manager.

Work From Home Work-related injury + illness

Have you experienced a work-related injury or illness while telecommuting? View WCB’s example scenarios .

Mental Health Support

Visit the WCB Psychological Injuries web page to understand psychological injury coverage.