Permanent Medical Accommodations for Employees

If you experience a health related physical or mental disability (due to an illness, injury or birth defect) you may require medical accommodation as defined under the Alberta Human Rights Act. The disability must be permanent in nature, and be supported by objective medical evidence.

If assessed as meeting this criteria, Health Recovery and Return to Work Services will facilitate the development of a written accommodation agreement in collaboration with your department/unit and other stakeholders as required.

Request a Permanent Accommodation

Review your Accommodation Needs

Review your accommodation needs with your supervisor. You do not need to discuss your medical condition with your supervisor/manager - they will need to understand your work related restrictions/limitations in order to consider how to address the need.

Contact Health Recovery + Return to Work Services

Contact Health Recovery and Return to Work Services to review your request and discuss the criteria for accommodation. If appropriate, the Consultant will provide a copy of the Accommodation Request form for you to complete.

Phone: 780-492-0636

Submit Online Notification

  • Your supervisor will submit an Online Notification form to Homewood Health Inc. (HHI).
  • You'll need to submit supporting medical documentation to HHI.


  • HHI will assess the medical information provided and gather any additional objective medical information required in order to assess if the restrictions/limitations are permanent in nature.
  • HHI will advise Health Recovery and Return to Work Services on their findings.


Health Recovery and Return to Work Services will follow-up with you and your department on the outcome and next steps.

Other Accommodations

If you require accommodation for reasons other than your own health, including residing with a person who may be at risk for health complications, you can apply through the university’s standard non-medical accommodation process. Speak with your manager or supervisor.