This page contains the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the MA/MLIS combined program with Digital Humanities.

How do I apply for the MA/MLIS program?
You must apply to the Master of Arts (MA) in Digital Humanities (DH) and Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) from the School of Library and Information Sciences for this combined program. If the MA department admits you then your file gets forwarded to MLIS program for review. You apply through the FGPS website.
When is the application deadline?

Applications are due on December 15th

See Before You Apply for more information.

How many years do we have to complete our degree?
Students in the MA/MLIS have six years to complete the program. Most thesis-based Master's programs on campus are four years.
What are thesis student fees?

See the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Tuition and Fees page for current fee estimates and sample fee assessments for full-time students.

Full-time students are registered in ★9 in Fall/Winter and mandatory ★6 in Spring/Summer.

What are the costs in the spring/summer specifically? When are they paid?
Refer to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Tuition and Fees page for an entire breakdown for all terms. Please make note of fee deadlines and payment options.
Are we considered full-time during the summer?
Yes, you are automatically registered in THES 906 by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research in both Spring and Summer terms. "6" signifies ★6 (e.g. THES 903 is ★3).
What does it mean to be a thesis student?
Thesis students take fewer courses than a course-based student, and you must submit a thesis research paper at the end of your program.
Are MA/MLIS students considered thesis students?
Students in the MA/MLIS are thesis-based students in both departments.
As a thesis student do we take three courses a term as opposed to course-based 4 courses a term?
As a thesis-based student you register in ★9 (3 courses) per Fall/Winter term and ★6 in Spring/Summer term. Thesis-based students take fewer courses than course-based students. Please see the MA/MLIS Program Planner for more information.
How do you apply for Graduate Research Assistant position at SLIS?
The School will advertise available Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) positions along with the associated job criteria. Both course-based and thesis-based students can apply to GRA openings. Please note that GRA positions will not cover the cost of tuition and fees for the program.
Can MA/MLIS students apply for SSHRC?
Yes, MA/MLIS students can contact the Digital Humanities Graduate Advisor for further details.
How many supervisors do MA/MLIS thesis students have?
Students will have two supervisors: one from the School of Library and Information Studies, and one from Digital Humanities.
How is your first reader chosen? Who qualifies? Does it have to be from SLIS?
Due to the combined nature of the program, you will have one supervisor from SLIS and one from Digital Humanities. The choice will depend on the nature of the thesis subject area.
What is the process for asking a faculty member to be your supervisor?
You can contact both of your Graduate Coordinators at SLIS and Digital Humanities to start the process. They will be able to advise you on the subject expertise of potential candidates for your supervision.
Do we have to do the SLIS capping project?
No, the capping project (LIS 600) is only required for the course-based program. MA/MLIS students will write a thesis instead. 
How does the tuition work with student loans/the MSFAA (must be full-time students)?

You must be registered full-time to be eligible for student loans. Please contact the Student Service Centre in the Registrar's Office for more information. They handle student loans for all students.

Should I prepare a thesis proposal?
For information on thesis proposals, please see MLIS Thesis Option.
What is the procedure for final oral examination?
Procedure for final oral examination can be found here.
Who can supervise you? Associate/Adjunct professors? Professors names to be surrogates for the department even though they are not official attached to it?
Please refer to the Graduate Program Manual §8.1 Supervision and Supervisory Committees.