Report an Incident

For serious incidents

The Government of Alberta requires that all serious and potentially serious incidents (including those related to COVID-19) be reported immediately to Alberta Labour. Serious incidents include the following:

  • Injury or incident that results in the death of a worker
  • Injury or incident that results in worker admitted to hospital (as an inpatient)
  • Unplanned or uncontrolled explosion, fire, or flood that causes (or had the potential to cause) a serious injury
  • Collapse or failure of any part of a building or structure that is necessary for its structural integrity
  • The collapse of a hoist, crane, or derrick

NOTE: Serious or potentially serious incidents related to COVID-19 include the following:

  • Fatalities and hospitalizations related to incidents where COVID-19 was acquired as a result of the worker's engagement in a work activity
  • Incidents where a worker at the worksite is "exposed" to confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19, where exposure includes the following:
    • Incidents where the worksite is not following the rules, procedures and guidance related to COVID-19 protection and a worker is exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19
    • Incidents where the COVID-19 controls in place have failed and a worker is exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19
  • Where a worker has been notified by AHS as part of the contact-tracing protocol that they may have been in close contact with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19

To report a serious incident

  1. Call the Control Centre: 780-492-5555.
  2. Report your incident, provide your phone number, and request a call back from the EHS on-call person.
  3. Complete and submit an incident report. NOTE: For COVID-19 related serious or potentially serious incidents, please respect the privacy of the individual who may be COVID-19 positive; do not use the individual's name. In your report, note only the worksite and/or responsible supervisor.

For all other incidents

  1. Complete and submit an incident report.
  2. Your supervisor will then be notified to complete the second part of the form.
  3. Injured and required professional medical attention?
  4. Follow up with your supervisor to make sure all reporting is complete.

Reporting a security incident? Visit the U of A Protective Services incident webpage.

Reporting a work refusal? Supervisors must complete this form.

Why report an incident?

Incident reporting allows us to observe trends and find opportunities to implement safe work practices at the university. Read about some of the lessons we've learned from past incidents!

The incident reporting form has changed as follows:

  • New appearance
  • Improved notification process 

The new form is part of the Alberta Research Information Services (ARISE) database and requires login using your University of Alberta ccid and password. If you experience problems with the form, please contact