Can I enter the program from high school?

Yes, both the 4-year Bachelor of Education and 5-year Combined degrees can be entered from high school.

Can I transfer into the program from another post-secondary institution?

Yes, the Faculty of Education accepts transfer students from external post-secondary institutions.

What is the difference between the 4-year Bachelor of Education and the 5-year Combined Degree?

Students in the 4-year program enter the Faculty of Education and complete their remaining studies as Faculty of Education students. In contrast, students in the 5-year combined degree choose from one of the available programs and enter the partner faculty. After the successful completion of the first 2-3 years of study, students automatically transfer to the Faculty of Education to finish their program. Students in the combined degree will take more courses towards the teachable major and minor and upon the successful completion of the program, will earn two degrees: the Bachelor of Education and the degree earned from the partner faculty (i.e. the Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Music, etc.). Students interested in pursuing the combined degree are encouraged to contact the partner faculty for admissions information.

What is the difference between Elementary and Secondary Education?

Students in Elementary Education take a generalist program (and do not choose a major or minor) which is directed towards teaching Kindergarten through Grade 6, while students in Secondary Education are specialists with a major and minor, focusing on Grades 7-12. Students in Elementary Education take 51 credits (approx. 17 classes) of "non-education coursework" from a number of different areas to form their "generalist" focus, including English, Math, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Fine Arts, Physical and Health Education, and Aboriginal/Indigenous Histories and Culture. Students in Secondary Education take 36 credits of coursework (approx. 12 classes) towards their major, while the minor is composed of 18 credits of coursework (approx. 6 classes). In addition to the major/minor requirements in Secondary Education, and the Non-Education Course requirements in Elementary, the Bachelor of Education program includes Education coursework as well as the two teaching terms.

Which majors and minors are available for Secondary Education students?

The University of Alberta Calendar has a complete list of majors and minors available.

Can I have a double major and/or double minor in Secondary Education?

An official double major or minor is not available in the Education degree; however students wanting to develop additional areas of specialization can do so within the options available in their degree. Students can also choose to complete course work extra to the degree, which will not be counted towards program requirements but will be listed on transcripts (and viewable by potential employers). Keep in mind that some courses may be restricted to students in a particular major, minor, program or faculty.

Students wanting to pursue an additional area of focus can also pursue a Diploma program in a variety of areas after they have completed their degree program.

How big are the classes at the U of A?

The average class size of Education courses is 27 students. However, as Education students may take courses from a number of different faculties, class size will vary greatly. The average class size for first and second year courses across the university is 45.

What scholarships are available to students?

Please visit the U of A's Tuition and Scholarships page for information.

How much will my program cost?

Please visit the U of A's Tuition and Scholarships page for information.

Can I study on a part time basis?

Portions of the program can be taken on a part-time basis, however much of the final two years of study (and the bulk of the after degree) must be taken full-time. Please consult the Faculty of Education if considering part-time study.

Can I fast-track my after degree?

The minimum amount of time it takes to complete the BEd After Degree is generally 2 years.

I am a transfer/after degree student. Which major and/or minor should I choose based on my previous coursework?

Many students transferring into the secondary program or entering the secondary after degree will choose a major and/or minor based on previous coursework completed. For example, students who have previously completed a Bachelors of Arts in English and History may declare a major in English and a minor in Social Studies (or vice versa), or a student with a Bachelors of Science in Biology and Physics may declare a major in Biology and a minor in Physics (or vice versa).

However, students are not limited to the majors and minors that they have previous coursework in, and any deficient coursework will simply be included in the program requirements. Unfortunately, the Faculty of Education is unable to conduct assessments prior to application, or formally recommend which majors and/or minors will fit best with a students previous coursework.

Transfer students are recommended to refer to the major/minor requirements as listed in the Calendar as well as the Alberta Transfer Guide.

After Degree - Secondary route please consult the following majors/minors as approved for the after degree only. Please note that degree requirements can change from year to year.

Students coming from outside of the province or from an institution not listed in the transfer guide are recommended to refer to their provincial transfer guide (if available) as courses that transfer to large Universities will generally transfer to the U of A, or compare course descriptions for an idea of transferability.

Can I set up an appointment with a prospective student advisor?

Absolutely. The Faculty of Education has a dedicated Prospective Student Advisor who is able to meet with students. Our prospective student advisor is unable to officially assess transfer credit, but are more than happy to discuss the programs offered by the faculty, admission requirements, general U of A questions, etc.

Can I come for a campus tour?

Yes. The U of A offers a Campus Visit Program which coordinates campus visits from Monday to Friday during the year. Please refer to the website for more details.

I am an internationally educated teacher. How do I become certified in Alberta?

Those interested in teacher certification in Alberta who already possess a Bachelors of Education (or equivalent) from another country must apply to Alberta Education for assessment. Please contact Alberta Education, Professional Standards Branch, to have your credentials assessed: the toll free number is: 310-0000; wait for the prompt, then dial 780-427-2045. Once your assessment has been completed, you will receive a letter from Alberta Education indicating whether you have met the requirements for Alberta certification or if you are required to take additional course work.

I am an out-of-province teacher. How do I become certified in Alberta?

Those interested in teacher certification in Alberta who already possess a BEd (or equivalent) from another province must apply to Alberta Education for assessment. Please contact Alberta Education, Professional Standards Branch, to have your credentials assessed: the toll free number is: 310-0000; wait for the prompt, then dial 780-427-2045. Once the assessment has been completed, a letter from Alberta Education will be sent indicating whether you have met the requirements for Alberta certification or if you are required to take additional course work.

Will I be able to teach in another province with a BEd from the U of A?

Absolutely! Once a teacher has been certified in Alberta, they can then apply for teacher certification in another province. Each Province/ Territory in the country has a Department/Ministry of Education that conducts teacher certification for their jurisdiction. Students will need to contact the appropriate department/ministry for more information:

I am an internationally educated teacher/out-of-province teacher and I have received my assessment from Alberta Education, stating that I must complete additional coursework. How do I complete these requirements at the University of Alberta?

Once you have received your assessment letter from Alberta Education, your next step is to email, mail or drop off a copy of your letter from Alberta Education Professional Standards Branch to Undergraduate Student Services (along with this document: Canadian trained teachers PDF Icon). Applicants will then be contacted by Undergraduate Student Services to discuss their application to the U of A as a special student in the Faculty of Education.

Do courses expire?

All transferable coursework will be considered for use toward degree requirements regardless of age. However, the evaluation to determine whether courses meet current degree requirements, can only occur during an official admission evaluation. Due to the labour-intensive process of assessing transfer credit, we will only be able to assess transfer credit if we are able to extend an offer of admission. Therefore, students concerned about coursework are encouraged to submit an official application to the program as early as possible.

What are the admission requirements for x program?

Visit our Admissions page for all admission requirements.

Can I transfer into the 5-year combined degree?

Please contact the partner faculty for information on transferring into their program.

When should I apply?

We recommend applying as early as possible for admission. Applications for Fall 2021 open October 1, 2020 and the deadline to apply is March 1, 2021. The sooner you apply and submit your required documents, the sooner we can evaluate your application. Our programs are competitive and in previous years, the Faculty of Education has hit capacity before the end of the admission cycle.

Will you take a look at my transcripts and tell me if I should apply?

Unfortunately, we are unable to conduct preliminary assessments for admission purposes. Please refer to our admission requirements and students are strongly encouraged to submit an application at www.ualberta.ca/apply. For a rough idea of transfer credit you may be eligible for, please consult Apply Alberta or your provincial transfer guide.

Does my previous degree make me admissible to the After Degree?

For admission into the After Degree, students are required to possess a Bachelors Degree from an accredited post-secondary institution. Please contact the Registrar's Office to confirm whether your institution is recognized.

Are there prerequisite courses required for transferring into the program?

There are no specific prerequisites for transferring into the 4-year Bachelor of Education. However, students planning to transfer into the program should consult with the Faculty for information on course selection in order to ensure program flow. Please refer to our admission requirements.

Which courses should I take prior to transferring to the Faculty of Education?

There are no specific courses required to transfer into the program. Students should refer to the U of A Calendar for the best guide for program requirements and the Alberta Transfer Guide for transferable coursework at external Alberta post-secondary institutions. If you are in a transfer program in another institution, please consult your program advisor for more information. We recommend applying to transfer to the Faculty of Education as early as possible to help avoid the loss of transfer credit.

What is the Application Deadline?

The Application Deadline is March 1.

How do I apply for admission?

See UAlberta's How to Apply guide.

I had a problem filling out the application form.

View the U of A's application FAQs.

What are the English language requirements for admission into the Faculty of Education?

Students must meet both the English Language Proficiency requirements as well as the Spoken English Proficiency requirements for admission to the Faculty of Education. Students who do not meet this requirement will not be admissible to the program.

Do I need a criminal records check to enter the program?

Students applying for the Faculty of Education do not need to get a criminal records check for admission to the program. However, most school boards in the province of Alberta require student teachers to complete a Criminal Record Check (through the RCMP or City Police) and an Intervention Record Check (through Alberta Child and Youth Services) prior to beginning a practicum. For more information, please refer to the Field Experience website.

How is my admission GPA calculated?

The Admission Grade Point Average (AGPA) is calculated based on your most recent 24 units of completed non-repeated course weight without breaking up a term (if you completed 15 units of course weight in both term of your last year the calculation would be based on the 30 units of course weight). In cases where a student has completed less than 24 units of course weight in their last year, we will then go back to the previous year until we reach the required units of course weight. However, we will not split a term for calculation of the average which could mean that the calculation will be based on more than the 24 units of course weight.

What is the lowest GPA considered for admission from another post-secondary institution?

The minimum GPA considered for admission to our programs is 2.0 or C on a 4-point scale. However, admission is competitive and determined by the applicant pool. The Faculty of Education and University of Alberta do not release current or past AGPAs for programs.

I'm transferring into Education, how is transfer credit assessed and how long will my program be?

Transfer credit is only assessed once a student has submitted a complete application and if we are able to extend an admission offer. If you are admitted, the advisors in the Faculty of Education will assess your transcripts for transferable coursework and send you a personalized Program Sheet outlining all courses you have received credit for and all courses that still remain in your program. We are unable to conduct transfer credit assessments prior to a student's application.

What is the lowest grade acceptable for a transfer course from another University/college?

This can vary depending on the institution from which you are transferring. Any course with a grade lower than 60% or lower than C- will not be transferable.

Can I change my major/minor? From Elementary to Secondary (or vice versa)?

Applicants may change their major/minor or their program from Elementary to Secondary if their application has not yet been evaluated. If interested in doing so, please contact the Registrar's Office or refer to your Launchpad account to fill out a Change of Program Request Form. If your application has been evaluated, students can only apply to change their major or minor at the end of the first term, and students interested in changing between Elementary and Secondary Education must complete a new application and be reassessed for fall admission. It is important to finalize your program choice as early as possible to avoid loss of credit.

Can I take spring/summer courses prior to admission to the Faculty of Education?

High School students considering taking summer courses to upgrade their high school grades should be aware of the August 1 document deadline and direct any specific questions about late document submissions to the Registrar's Office. Students transferring into the 4-year Bachelor of Education are able to take Spring coursework (May - June courses) and/or Summer coursework (July - August courses) without disrupting their admission to the program. Students should note that any coursework taken in Spring and/or Summer will NOT appear on their Program Sheet. They will need to provide an official final transcript and submit a Credit Check to have the coursework noted on their Program Sheet after the successful completion of the course(s). Note: Students planning to take spring/summer coursework through Athabasca University should contact Undergraduate Student Services for more information as timelines differ between Athabasca and the University of Alberta.

Do I need to submit letters of reference or a curriculum vitae (CV) for admission into the program? Is there an interview process?

Students are considered for admission to the undergraduate BEd program based on the academic requirements. Students are not required to submit letters of reference, a CV or participate in an interview for admission into the program.

What documentation is required for admission?

Students are encouraged to log into their Launchpad account for a complete list of all documentation needed for their evaluation, as it may depend on a student's application and post-secondary background. Continue to log into your Launchpad account throughout the year as new items could be added to the checklist.

I have applied for the program. Where do I send my transcripts?

View the U of A's Transcripts & Documents page for information.

Does the Faculty of Education accept international students?

Yes, the Faculty of Education does accept international students. International students are recommended to contact the Alberta Teaching Association for more information on certification.

I've applied, what now?

View the U of A's How to Apply page to find out what steps you need to take before and after applying.

How many credits must I complete within the Faculty of Education (Residency Requirement)?

For the 120 credit, four-year BEd degree, students are permitted to transfer in a maximum of 75 credits to their BEd (including a maximum of 60 credits from institutions outside the University of Alberta). For the BEd After Degree, you must complete a minimum of 30 credits in your BEd program to complete the residency requirement. Most education courses are restricted to students enrolled in the Faculty of Education, so it is strongly recommended that students apply to Education as soon as possible and no later than your second year (maximum 60 credits completed). After Degree students should plan on completing their whole degree within the Faculty of Education.

What is the difference between Open Options, Non-Education Options and Education Options?

Open Options can be taken in any Faculty, Non-Education options must be taken in a Faculty other than Education, and Education Electives must be 300 or 400 level Faculty of Education courses.

Which courses allow me to teach with Edmonton Catholic?

Edmonton Catholic School Board does not require teachers to have specific courses as a condition of employment. However, in order to get a permanent contract with Edmonton Catholic, the school board requires teacher to have CHRTC 250: The Theological Education of the Catholic Teacher. In addition, CHRTC 380: Christian Religious Education and the Child is required for Elementary teachers and CHRTC 381: Christian Religious Education and the Adolescent/Young Adult is required for Secondary teachers. These courses are offered by St. Joseph's College. If you would like to complete these courses while you are in the BEd program, they can be used as Non-Education Options, Open Options, or they can be declared as Extra to Degree. For further information on working for Edmonton Catholic, or for information on working in a different Catholic school district, please contact the specific school district that you are interested in. You may also be interested in taking St. Joseph's College Certificate in Catholic Education.

Which courses should I take?

Students should refer to the U of A Calendar for program requirements as well as their own personalized Program Sheet, which is sent to students once they have been assessed for admission by Undergraduate Student Services.

I can't get into X class. Why not?

Classes may be restricted to students in specific faculties or programs, or they may be full. If you are unable to get into a class, please first check the class notes in Bear Tracks for any restrictions as well as number of open seats. If you are still unable to register for the class, please contact the relevant department or put the class on your watch-list.

Can I take online courses at the University of Alberta?

Some classes may be available through online study, however the selection of distance education courses at the U of A is very limited. It is currently not possible to complete a significant number of U of A courses online and students interested in doing so at another institution should contact the Faculty of Education for more information.

Can I take courses in the evenings?

Evening courses are available throughout the year but availability varies term-to-term. In addition, not all required courses are offered as evening courses. To search for evening classes, please follow the instructions below: Go to Bear Tracks at https://www.beartracks.ualberta.ca. Click in as a guest or log in as a student. Go to 'Course and Class Information'. Go to 'View Schedule of Classes'. Pick the term you want to search in. Click on 'Advanced Search'. Go to 'Class Days' and/or 'Start Times' and 'End Times' and click on or type in the days and times you would like to attend classes. Type in just the 'Subject' ,or, the 'Subject' and 'Catalog Number' of the class you are looking for (All the courses available at the U of A can also be found in 'Course Listings' in the 'Course and Class Information' menu) or leave 'Subject' and 'Catalog Number' blank to see ALL courses at the U of A offered at those days and times. Click on 'Search'. "

Can I take courses on weekends?

Unfortunately, the U of A does not currently offer courses on weekends.

Why is my Program Sheet different from my friend's Program Sheet?

Program Sheets are specific to the student and based on major/minor, type of degree and previous post-secondary experience. Students must follow their own Program Sheet.

How do I accept my admission offer?

Log in to Launchpad to accept your offer and pay the tuition deposit by the deadline indicated in Launchpad. Note that you are still required to meet the conditions stated in your admission offer, even after you have accepted.

How do I pay my tuition deposit?

See Student Tuition Payment Options.

When is Orientation?

View the U of A's orientation page for details.

How much will my program cost?

View the U of A's Tuition and Scholarships page for information.

What on-campus housing options are available to students?

View the U of A's residence services page for information.