Off-Campus Collaborative Programs in Grande Prairie, and Fort McMurray

We offer a Teacher Education North (elementary focus) program in Grande Prairie and a Collaborative Elementary Education Program in Fort McMurray. Our collaborative programs offer students the opportunity to study in a focus area that is not available on the main university campus. Although collaborative students study on the campus of one of two different colleges in Alberta, they earn a University of Alberta degree. Collaborative degrees qualify students for teacher certification in Alberta. These degrees are offered as four-year degrees or after degrees.

Due to a limited number of spots, enrolment is competitive in our collaborative programs. Students will be updated regularly throughout the admissions cycle via e-mail, until the admission decisions are made, usually in July.

All applicants applying to the Bachelor of Education program at the University of Alberta are required to complete the Casper test as part of their application. More information about the Casper test requirement can be found here.

Four-Year Collaborative Degree Applicant Requirements

Applicants to our Collaborative BEd degree program must have 60 specific credits completed in order to be considered for admission to the final two years.

For more information regarding the collaborative program in Grande Prairie, contact Education Student Services or the Teacher Education North Program.

For more information regarding the collaborative program in Fort McMurray, contact Education Student Services or the Faculty Advisor of the Collaborative Elementary Education Program.

Collaborative After Degree Applicant Requirements

Applicants to the Collaborative BEd After Degree programs must present the following to be considered for admission:
  1. A 3 or 4-year degree from an accredited post-secondary institution.
  2. An Admission GPA (AGPA) or at least 2.0 or equivalent.
  3. 6 credits of transferable coursework in English Literature/Composition.


  1. To determine transferability of a course taken at another post-secondary institution in Alberta, Nunavut, or Northwest Territories, please use the Alberta Online Transfer Guide available at If you attended a post-secondary institution in a province other than Alberta, you may check to see if that province has a transfer guide. If your coursework transfers to a major university in that province, then it most likely will be accepted here; the Undergraduate Student Services Office in the Faculty of Education will make the final determination.

For additional admissions information, consult the University of Alberta calendar: