International Student Services (ISS)

Work in Canada

International students may be permitted to work in Canada while studying, depending on your registration status and the location of your employment. International students cannot work before their studies begin. 

If you are eligible to work during your studies, Canada's immigration regulations permit three types of employment for international students:

Work on Campus

International students with valid study permits containing the remarks "May accept employment or May work," who are enrolled full-time, are permitted to work, without a work permit, at any employment facility located within the boundary of the University of Alberta's North campus, and at other Edmonton U of A campuses, including Enterprise Square, Campus Saint-Jean, and South Campus.

When it comes to on-campus work, there is no maximum number of hours you can work.


If your student status changes to part-time, you must stop working immediately. If you have a part-time registration status, during your final term of study, you continue to be eligible to work. 

Please note: If you work as a teaching or research assistant, and your work is strictly related to a research grant, you can work on or off-campus at a library, hospital, or research facility associated with the University of Alberta. 

ESL, Exchange and visiting students may work on campus if they hold a valid study permit and are registered full-time. They must apply for study permits from outside of Canada and have the required work conditions on their study permit.

After you arrive on campus, find out how to apply for your Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Work off Campus

You do not need a work permit to work off-campus. You must have a valid study permit with the remarks "May accept employment or May work" and be enrolled full-time in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate (ESL/ELP programs are not eligible). If your student status changes to "part-time," you must stop working immediately. If you have a part-time registration status, during your final term of study, you continue to be eligible to work. 

Exchange and visiting students may work off-campus if you hold a valid study permit with the remarks "May accept employment or May work" and are registered full-time. You must apply for study permits from outside of Canada and have the required work conditions in your study permit. 

You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work on or off-campus. Find out how to apply for a Social Insurance Number

You can:

  • Work off-campus up to 20 hours per week during regular terms (fall and winter) and full time during regularly scheduled breaks (including spring, summer, winter break, and reading weeks)
  • Work full time if you completed your program of study and applied for a post-graduation work permit with a valid study permit within 90 days of completing your program. 

If you have completed your program of study, and have not applied for a post-graduate work permit, you are not authorized to continue working off-campus beyond your program completion date. 

Co-op students

Students studying in a program that requires a co-op, or internship placement as part of their curriculum, must apply for a Co-op Work Permit. Co-op Work Permits are for co-op or internship placement only. Visit the International Services Centre to speak with an International Student Advisor for information on how to apply.  

ELP, Open Studies, and Special Students - you are not eligible to work off-campus because your program of study does not meet the eligibility requirements for working off-campus and will not lead to a degree.

You are eligible to work on campus, providing you are in full-time studies (9 credits or more) and have a valid study permit containing the remarks "May accept employment or May work."

Graduate students' work requirements

All University of Alberta graduate students on a Study Permit are eligible to work an unlimited number of hours per week on campus and up to 20 hours a week off-campus.  

Thesis-based graduate students are permitted to work 20 hours per week off-campus year-round.

Course-based graduate students are allowed to work 20 hours a week off-campus during academic sessions and full-time during regularly scheduled breaks. 

Part-time International students, or students on academic leave, or authorized leave of absence, are not allowed to work on or off-campus in Canada.

Part-time international students or those on authorized leaves which are not registered full-time do not meet study permit work conditions.  Part-time registration periods or periods of authorized leaves may have a negative impact on future post-graduation work-permit applications and could be interpreted as not “studying continuously.” Students must provide additional documentation to explain these periods when applying for a post-graduation work permit.

Visit the International Services Centre for more information on working on or off-campus.   

Work after Graduation

To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). The Post-Graduation Work Permit may be issued for a maximum of 3 years if the program of study is at least 2 years long. Students who complete programs of study that are less than 2 years (but not shorter than 8 months) may be eligible for a PGWPP issued for the same length as their program.

For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you may be eligible for a three-year work permit so long as you meet the criteria. If you graduate from a one-year degree program, you qualify for a work permit that is valid for no more than one year.

You might not be eligible for a PGWP if you did not continuously study full time in your program. If this applies to you, speak to an advisor at the International Services Centre to discuss your situation.  

Learn more on Pathways to Permanent Residency

Work after completing your program

From the time your program is completed, and before your completion letter is issued, as an international student, you can work part-time of no more than 20 hours/week. 

Once the completion letter is issued, if you submit a PGWP online application on the same day, you can work full-time during this time up until a decision is made, so long as you meet the  following requirements: 

  1. Your study permit is valid when you submit your application 
  2. You apply within 90 days of the date the completion letter was issued.
  3. Your study permit has the required work authorization statements.

If the PGWP application is not submitted immediately, students are not eligible to work at all. 

How to apply

Within 180 days of completing your studies, you must apply to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and have a valid study permit or valid visitor status in Canada. Students are also eligible to apply for the PGWP outside of Canada whether or not their study permit is valid, as long as this is done within 180 days from receiving formal notification of completion. The application must contain proof that you completed your program of study in the form of an official transcript and a letter from the University, confirming your completion. 

The 180 day period usually starts on the date issued of your letter from the University that acknowledges program completion.

Visit the IRCC website for more information