Illia Ovcharenko in concert

Student/Senior/Alumni | $10
Adult | $20

• by phone | 780.492.2495
  • in person | Tuesday & Thursday, 11:00am – 2:00pm at the Timms Box Office | Timms Centre for the Performing Arts, 112 Street & 87 Avenue
  • at the door (cash or card)

Illia Ovcharenko in concert

November 20, 2023
7:30 PM | Convocation Hall

The Department of Music welcomes 2022 Honens International Piano Competition winner and Honens Prize Laureate Illia Ovcharenko:

"The program you will hear tonight is a deeply personal narrative divided in three parts: current times, memories and reflections, and hope for the future.

I will open with a portrait of this past year: a prayer, followed by a monumental struggle, ending quietly in uncertainty, colored by ashes left behind.

The second half of the concert features works by Levko Revutsky and Valentin Silvestrov, born respectively in Chernihiv and Kyiv, the two cities I consider hometowns. My musical and cultural heritage was formed in these cities, a line of influence paralleled by their own personal connection to each other, as Revutsky was one of Silvestrov’s teachers.

The recital will conclude on a note of optimism with Chopin’s ‘Heroic’ Polonaise composed during the times of European Revolutions and later perceived as an inspiration for the people who fought for their rights. Especially at this moment, it is important to me that I represent my culture and tell my story through the music and places that shaped who I am. I hope you enjoy the program!"

Illia Ovcharenko

2022-icon-honens-black.png

This concert and masterclass is made possible through the generous support of the Honens International Piano Competition

Piano Masterclass with Illia Ovcharenko
Tuesday, November 21 | 10:00AM
Convocation Hall

Don't miss this opportunity to attend a Piano Masterclass in Convocation Hall with 2022 Honens International Piano Competition winner and Honens Prize Laureate Illia Ovcharenko. Everyone is welcome.

Music News

Support Fine Arts