Personal Records + Transcripts

Personal Information

Legal Name or Primary Name

Your University of Alberta record must contain your full legal name. This is the name that appears on legal documents such as your birth certificate or passport. Your legal name is also referred to as your primary name. Official documentation issued by the Office of the Registrar will contain your legal name. Examples of these include Admission letters, Statements of Results, Official Transcripts, T2202 for tax purposes, and official parchments.

Changing Your Legal Name

To change your legal name on your university record, you must complete a Name Change (PDF) form and provide acceptable supporting documentation. No legal name changes will be completed without the supporting documentation noted on the Name Change form. If you are changing your name in person, ensure you take your form to the appropriate office as noted on the form.

NOTE: If you have an official parchment and you wish to have it reprinted in your new name, you must request this separately. Instructions on how to do so can be found on the Parchment Reprints form.

Preferred Names

You may wish to provide the University with a preferred first or middle name. By entering your preferred name on Bear Tracks, you acknowledge and agree that the University, in the course of any communications and activities related to the use of your name, as determined by the University in its sole discretion, may use either your preferred first name or your legal first name. You acknowledge and agree that your preferred first name shall comply with all University policies and procedures and that the University may disallow, for any reason whatsoever, your choice of preferred name. Finally, you expressly acknowledge and agree that the University has no obligation, duty or liability to you, in any way whatsoever, respecting the use of either your preferred name or legal name in the course of any communications and activities.

Changing Your Preferred Name

Current users of Bear Tracks can update their preferred first and middle name by selecting the 'Names' tab under the 'Personal Information' menu. Upon saving their changes, Bear Tracks users will see the changes immediately.

Verification Documents

Verification documents can be requested for one of the following reasons:

  • Proof of course completion
  • Employment (job application) purposes
  • Immigration (i.e. leaving or entering the country while a student)
  • Banking (i.e. student line of credit or RESP)
  • RESPs set up through bank
  • Proof of degree for certain agencies (APEGA, CARNA, ATA/TQS, etc.)
  • Insurance or daycare purposes

The type of verification document you need may depend on your reason for a verification document:

  • Registration Verification: proof of your registration status (full-time or part-time) in the selected terms
  • Enrolment Verification Including Courses: proof of your registration status in the selected terms with a list of your enrolled courses
  • Enrolment Verification Including Courses and Grades: proof of your registration status in the selected terms with a list of your courses and final grades
  • Degree/Credential Verification* proof of your program completion and graduation. Note: if you have recently applied for a degree and a decision is still pending (i.e., your degree has not yet been awarded), you will not be able to request a Degree/Credential Verification document. Please Note: Professional Series completions do not display on this document.

* The Degree/Credential Verification is released only after any outstanding accounts with any department at the University of Alberta have been settled. Please review the Financial Holds page for more information.

How to request a verification document

Through Bear Tracks

  1. Log in to Bear Tracks
  2. Go to 'Academics' > 'Verification Documents'
  3. Once a verification document is requested through Bear Tracks, students will receive them in  MyCreds™ | MesCertif™ for a fee of $10. (Note: The document is called Confirmation of Enrolment in MyCreds™.) See here for more information on how to use MyCreds™ | MesCertif™. 

If you no longer have access to Bear Tracks, see one of the other options below.

Written request

If you do not have access to Bear Tracks, you can submit a written request.

  1. Compose a written request in a document. In this document, please include:
    1. Your Name
    2. Your Student ID Number
    3. Type of Verification Document
    4. Term(s) desired
    5. Number of copies
    6. Address to where the Verification Document(s) should be mailed via regular postal service
    7. Your signature
  2. Submit your signed, written request document to the Student Service Centre via mail, fax, or our online contact form.
Mailing address:

Office of the Registrar
Administration Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB  T6G 2M7

Fax: 780-492-7172

Online contact form

If you would like to submit your written request online, you can do so through the Student Service Portal. In the support drop-down, select “Student General Enquiry” and attach your written request.

Collection of Personal Information

Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Information »

On September 1, 1999, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act came into effect at the University of Alberta. The purpose of this Act is to allow any person a right of access to the records of the University, to control the manner in which the University may collect information from individuals, to control the use that the University may make of that information, to control its disclosure of that information, to allow individuals the right of access to information about themselves, to allow individuals a right to request corrections to their personal information and to provide for an independent review of decisions of the University made under this Act, and the resolution of complaints under this Act.

The University of Alberta creates and collects information for the purposes of admission, registration and other activities directly related to its education programs. All applicants for admission are advised that the information they provide, and any other information placed into the student record, will be protected and used in compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Additional information can be found on the Information and Privacy Office Website

Informed Consent for Disclosure of Personal Information

The University of Alberta collects and protects personal information under the authority of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of operating the programs and services of the university. If you require the disclosure of your personal information to another person, designated agent or agency, legal counsel or other purposes, please complete this informed consent document as required under the Act.


Unofficial transcript

An Unofficial Transcript reflects your academic record at the point that you request it. It cannot be used as an Official Transcript as it does not bear the Registrar's signature, nor is it printed on security paper.

Students are responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of their official record by verifying their Unofficial Transcript. Queries regarding errors or omissions in the official academic history (transcript) must be made as soon as possible.

Note: If you attended Continuing Education courses prior to January 1, 2011, your Unofficial Transcript may be incomplete due to a change in our student record database.

How to access

In Bear Tracks as a downloadable PDF file:

  1. log into Bear Tracks
  2. expand the 'Academics' menu
  3. select 'Transcript'
  4. change the report type to “Continuing Education Unofficial”
    1. Current Students: Available through Bear Tracks.
    2. Former Students: Available through Bear Tracks if you started attending January 1, 2011 or after and have continually maintained your online access. Otherwise you will need to request an official transcript via paper/PDF form or in person.

Official transcript

There is no charge to obtain your Official Transcript. If you require transcripts by a given deadline, please remember to allow time for postal delivery and submit your request in advance.

Official Transcripts and other forms of certification are released only after any outstanding accounts with any department at the University of Alberta have been settled. For information on clearing your outstanding accounts, please refer to Clearing Holds on your Records or contact the Student Service Centre.

If you require your Official Transcripts in separate, sealed envelopes for a third party, please include this in your mailing instructions. The envelope may only be opened by the third party and will be rendered invalid if opened by the student.

How to order

Bear Tracks

Log into Bear Tracks, expand the 'Academics' menu, select 'Transcript’, then change the report type to “Continuing Education Official”. Normally fulfilled within 3-5 business days. If you no longer have access to Bear Tracks, see other options below.

Via paper/PDF form

Complete the Transcript Request Form (PDF) and submit it via Form Submission Page.

In person

You can also request your transcripts in person, at the Student Service Centre in the Administration Building on North Campus.