Admission Requirements

In order to be considered for the GCES program, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. A four-year baccalaureate degree from a recognized university with a 3.0 GPA on the last 60 credits of course work (6.5 on the 9 point scale).
    Note: For lower GPAs, admission may be granted based on work experience - see Guidelines for Considering Life Achievement.

  2. Two years of teaching experience

  3. English Language Proficiency (see How to Apply)

Admission FAQs

Do these courses count towards the TQS salary scale?
Yes. Each graduate-level course counts as 0.125 years on the TQS salary scale. More information is available here (see section 15.02).
Will I receive Alberta Teacher Certification through this program?

No. This program will enhance your skills and understanding of Mathematics Education, but it is not a path to certification.

The University of Alberta offers the Internationally Educated Teachers Bridging Program for educators who have earned their teaching qualifications in a country other than Canada and are interested in acquiring certification to teach in Alberta.

How will a break in my studies affect my my program?
You must be enrolled in one course in your first term after admission, and maintain an active program status by taking at least one course within each academic year (September-August). If you intend to interrupt your program for any reason, contact the GCES Graduate Administrator immediately at We will work with you to ensure that your registration remains active.
What grading system does the program use?
The program uses the University of Alberta's 4-point scale grading system. For more information about the University of Alberta grading system, see the grading system at the Office of the Registrar.
What if I don't quite meet all of the requirements?
Please contact the GCES Graduate Administrator at to discuss your options.
What if I have already completed some graduate level courses?
You may receive advanced standing for one of the prescribed GCES courses. Transfer credit information is available here or you can contact the GCES Graduate Administrator at  for more information.