Do you have questions about the Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies? Perhaps they are answered here. If not, contact us at gcesinfo@ualberta.ca - we're happy to help.

Do these courses count toward the TQS salary scale?
Yes. Each graduate-level course counts as 0.125 years on the TQS salary scale. More information is available here (see section 15.02).
Will I receive Alberta Teacher Certification through this program?

No. These certificates will enhance your skills and understanding in the particular disciplinary focus area, but they are not a path to teacher certification.

The University of Alberta offers the Internationally Educated Teachers Bridging Program for educators who have earned their teaching qualifications in a country other than Canada and are interested in acquiring certification to teach in Alberta.

How will a break in my studies affect my program?
You must be enrolled in one course in your first term after admission, and maintain an active program status by taking at least one course within each academic year (September-August). If you intend to interrupt your program for any reason, contact the GCES Graduate Administrator immediately at gcesinfo@ualberta.ca. We will work with you to ensure that your registration remains active.
What grading system does the program use?
The program uses the University of Alberta's 4-point scale grading system. For more information about the University of Alberta grading system, see the grading system at the Office of the Registrar.
What if I don't quite meet all of the requirements?
Please contact the GCES Graduate Administrator at gcesinfo@ualberta.ca to discuss your options.
What if I have already completed some graduate level courses?
You may receive advanced standing for one of the prescribed GCES courses. Transfer credit information is available here or you can contact the GCES Graduate Administrator at gcesinfo@ualberta.ca  for more information.
Does this certificate ladder into a Master's degree program?

A Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (GCES) provides students with up to 12 credits in advanced standing in the M.Ed. in Educational Studies program or the M.Ed. in Elementary Education - Curriculum and Pedagogy. Completion of the GCES does not guarantee acceptance into either of these programs, but if you are admitted, you will have only 6 courses remaining to complete your M.Ed..

To learn more about the M.Ed. in Educational Studies, click here or email mesinfo@ualberta.ca.

To learn more about the M.Ed. in Curriculum and Pedagogy, click here or email essgrad3@ualberta.ca