What is reportable?

Where university people or property are involved, you must report the following:


  • Physical harm
  • Exposure or possible exposure to hazardous materials

Exposure to hazardous substances

Near-miss health & safety violation

  • Workplace scenario that compromises government or university health and safety policy, regulations, or guidelines
  • E.g. unsecured gas cylinders, improper disposal of hazardous waste or improper storage of chemicals

Property damage

  • Resulting in a loss that exceeds $500
  • Property damage resulting from theft? Report it to Protective Services.

Spill or other uncontrolled release

  • Uncontrolled release of hazardous material

Near miss event

  • Potential for serious injury, hazardous spill or release, or property damage

What happens after you report?