History

Brief History

The University of Alberta Women's Club had its beginnings in November 1933 when is was then called the "Faculty Women's Club". Then U of A President, Dr. R.C. Wallace and his wife Elizabeth felt there was a need for faculty wives to get to know each other socially and to enjoy some social gatherings. With clear objectives and an approved constitution, the "Faculty Women's Club" was officially launched on January 20, 1934. It was open to women staff members, wives of staff above a demonstrator, and wives of academic officers.

 

History 1933 - 1983

The first detailed history of the "Faculty Women's Club" was written by Shelia Petersen in 1984; with research assistance from Muriel Affleck, Dorothy Alderman, Dorothy Ayer, Jean Bellow, and Esther Kreisel.

Their story of the first fifty years of the club is available here:

Story of the Faculty Women's Club (1933-1983)

 

History 1984-2009

Another through description of the Faculty Women's Club activities was penned by Norma Gutteridge for the 75th Anniversary of the club. Her story is available here:

A Further Chapter in the Story of the Faculty Women's Club (1984-2009)

 

New Beginnings in 2022

In order to be more inclusive, the club expanded membership as outlined in our revised and renamed Bylaws.  As part of this change, the club adopted the name University of Alberta Women's Club at our Annual General Meeting on May 2, 2022.