Preparing to Go

Health Insurance

Provincial Health Insurance is required by Engage North for all interns. In the event that the University of Alberta Student Health Insurance does not provide enough coverage for this internship, interns are expected to provide any additional travel or medical insurance. Typically, this is not an issue for interns, as Student Health Insurance is comprehensive and interns are often covered by their parent's health insurance (full-time students are covered by parent/guardian medical insurance until they are 25).


Interns are asked by the University to be immunized for the following diseases prior to their departure to their host communities.

  • Diptheria
  • Hepatitis A/B
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus (especially recommended if it has been more than ten years since last immunization)
  • Measles
  • Typhoid
  • Meningococca

Interns are also asked to receive a TB test prior to departure if their circumstances are such that they have potentially been exposed to the infection.

Travel Registration (UGo)

Interns must register with the UGo, the University of Alberta registry for students who are travelling as a part of their studies or as employees of the university. This registration allows the University to keep track of students who are away from Edmonton in the event of an emergency.

The information you provide about your internship can be used to send you vital information about natural disasters or crisis situations in your community, tell you how to stay safe during emergencies and gives you a resource to call if you feel your safety is in jeopardy. UGo monitors the areas in which students are located daily to assure they are safe while abroad.

To register, visit