Move Out

UAlberta students moving out of residence
UAlberta students moving out of residence
UAlberta students moving out of residence

Step 1


A notice to vacate is NOT required:

  • If you are moving out in the last month of your contract or lease.

A notice to vacate is required:

  • If you are in a month-to-month lease.
  • If you are moving out earlier than the last month of your 4, 8 or 11-month contract or lease end date. Important: You will be financially responsible for the full contract or lease fees.
  • Fill out the notice to vacate form.
  • Submit the form no later than the first day of the month to avoid an insufficient notice charge of one month's rent. You can drop the form off in person or email it to

Step 2


  • Confirm your move out date. 
    • Spring/Summer contract
      • Contract 1 - August 1 at 12 pm (noon)
      • Contract 2 - June 30 at 12 pm (noon)
      • Contract 3 - August 1 at 12 pm (noon)
  • Notify your roommate(s) of your move-out date if you are moving our separately.

Failure to move out on time will result in an improper move out penalty ($85) plus lock change ($125 per lock) and key replacement costs (see fees).

Request an extension (contracts ending May 1)

  • Email to request an extension by April 10 for $25/night. Extensions will only be accepted for academic reasons with documentation.
  • Apply for spring and summer housing, if spots are available. Once approved, you must transfer to your spring assignment on the date provided in your room offer letter. Extensions are not offered for Spring and Summer contracts.

Step 3


  • Do not park on the grass or in “no parking” areas.
  • Purchase a permit if you are parked in designated parking spaces.
  • Ensure someone is in the vehicle at all times if you are temporarily parked in an emergency access lane so they can move the vehicle if needed; unattended vehicles will be ticketed and/or towed.
  • Be courteous – move your vehicle as soon as it is loaded to allow others to load theirs.
  • Visit Parking Services for more information about parking.
  • Reminder: Do not leave items unattended in vehicles or common areas. Vehicles with valuables inside are a prime target for theft.

Step 4


Eco Move Out donation bins will be available in residence buildings July 22 - August 4.

Items being accepted are:

  • Non-perishable food. Unopened and non-expired canned foods, pasta, peanut butter, etc.
  • Toiletries. Unused shampoo and conditioner, soaps, moisturizers and lotions, etc.
  • Clothing. New and gently used clean clothing.
  • Furniture & household items (no glass). Clean & functional kitchenware, small appliances and electronics, clothing, shoes, games, home decorations, furniture, etc.

Thank you to our community partners – The Mustard SeedGoodwill Industries of Alberta  – who make sure anything you drop off is properly recycled or given a new life as a donation.

Step 5


  • Complete all items in the cleaning guide (Dorms | Furnished units | Unfurnished units). If you hire a third-party cleaning company, you must ensure they meet these standards.
  • Remove all possessions, including from storage and common areas. All items left behind will be donated or disposed of. You will be responsible for any costs to remove furniture, even if you live with a roommate, unless they accept responsibility in writing to the Residence Services office.
  • Contribute to cleaning the common areas. Talk to your RA, roommates and floormates about how you will each contribute.
  • Remove all garbage from your room and unit shared space and place it in the containers in the designated disposal area to avoid charges.
  • Submit a maintenance request for any items that need to be replaced or repaired.

Step 6


  • Pick up a key return/move out envelope from the front desk in Lister Centre or International House.
  • Deposit the following into your envelope
    • Keys, as applicable: entrance, unit, bedroom, mailbox, and kitchen
      Do not include keychains or lanyards
    • Temporary proximity card (if applicable)
      Do not include your ONEcard - this is your official U of A identification.
  • Seal the envelope using tape or glue. Do not lick or use staples.
  • Drop off the envelope at the front desk in Lister Centre or International House (drop box after hours). Once your keys are returned, you will not be able to access your unit again.

Step 7


Residence Services is unable to forward mail that arrives after you move out. It will be returned to the sender.

  • Change your address on services and subscriptions before you move out, such as your bank, phone company, etc.
  • Set up mail forwarding with Canada Post, but please note that mail from Lister Centre cannot be forwarded.
  • Cancel any third-party services such as internet, cable or telephone. Return any equipment to Telus or Shaw – any equipment left in your unit will result in charges.
  • Check your mail one last time and retrieve any packages.

Step 8


A prospective landlord may ask permission to do a tenant reference check before offering you accommodation, which includes account and behavioural information. Due to government regulation, Residence Services cannot release any information about residents without written permission.

Please note that Residence Services will only release information to prospective landlords over the phone as the volume of these requests does not allow time for us to complete questionnaires.

Step 9


If you plan to be a student this fall, submit an application soon as residence spaces are now limited.