Frequently Asked Questions


I have a daily limit on my debit card. What are my options?
Contact your financial institution to increase your daily online debit card limit. Fees may also be paid through online banking by setting up the University of Alberta as a payee under the bill payment function.
Will credit card payments still be accepted for Application fees?
Yes. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American Express and Visa Debit are acceptable forms of payment when applying online.
Will Credit Card be accepted for the Tuition Deposit?

Yes, you can pay with a Credit Card for your deposit via your LaunchPad account, a service fee will be applied.

You can also pay your deposit via your Canadian Bank's online bill payment option.  Please see here for details on how to proceed with this option.

Will credit card payments be accepted for parking?
Yes, payments for Parking can be made with a Credit Card.  Please see here for more details.
Will I be able to pay for University housing (residence space) with my credit card?

The Residence and Meal Plan charges now appear on Bear Tracks,  please see here for all Residence Payment Options.

Any questions, please contact Student Receivables.

Will the Faculty of Extension accept credit card payments for non-credit courses?
Yes, a Credit Card can be used for all Faculty of Extension registrations.  Please see here for more information.
What are the methods for paying my tuition?
  • In person at Financial Services (3rd Floor Administration Building): Secure dropbox for cheques, money orders, and drafts 
  • Online/telephone banking
  • Interac Online
  • Through student's financial banking institution as a bill payment
  • Western Union
  • Plastiq (Accepts all major credit card payments. A fee is charged to use this service).

Please allow sufficient time (minimum 3 business days) for these electronic payments to be processed so that tuition fees are received by the fee payment deadline.

Out-of-province students may conduct their financial business at an institution such as a credit union that does not include the University of Alberta as a potential payee. Will the University work with those institutions on behalf of students to be added as a payee?
Yes we are willing to work with the financial institution to add the University of Alberta to their list of payees. Please contact Financial Services at to advise us where we can assist in contacting your financial institution.
The timing of the delivery of student loans and the deadline for tuition payment are not aligned. What are you doing to help students who rely on their loans to pay their tuition?
Currently 80% of student loans are processed through an automated online confirmation process. Payment is usually received by the term payment deadline. The remaining 20% are processed manually, and the student is advised at the time of loan signing (if concern is expressed), that payment will be accepted at Financial Services without penalty, one month past the term payment deadline, if the loan payment pays the total term tuition amount. If the loan is authorized after the one month extension, further discussion with the student may be required.
Will the University accept credit card cheques for tuition payments?
Yes. Make credit card cheques payable to University of Alberta and be sure to include your name and student ID number. If the credit card cheque is returned by your bank, the NSF fee of $25.00 will apply. Please contact your credit card provider for further details on credit card cheque interest rates, as these cheques may be considered a cash advance.
What is the quickest method to pay tuition if I require a financial hold cleared? (e.g., in order to register for classes)
The most expedient way to have your financial hold cleared from your account is to drop a cheque at Financial Services (3rd Floor Administration Building) or Interac Online (payment will post in 10 minutes. Note, Visa Debit and Mastercard Debit are not acceptable). Additionally, you are able to pay using Bill Payment at your financial banking institution. Financial holds related to Parking, Residence Services, Library, etc. must be paid at the originating or home department

Please contact Student Receivables with any additional comments or concerns:

Student Receivables
Financial Services
3rd Floor Administration
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2M7

Phone:  780-492-2400 (1-3pm weekdays)

Updated: April 2021