Student Loans


Alberta students who require financial assistance apply online at Student Aid Alberta. Students who cannot apply online may print application forms from the website listed above.

Application forms for loan assistance from other provincial governments for students from those provinces are available from the Financial Aid Office and online through your provincial Student Aid website.

Successful Alberta applicants who are attending the University of Alberta will have their Master Student Financial Aid Agreement and their Notice of Assessment mailed to their home address. The Master Student Financial Aid Agreement must be signed and returned to the government (one to Student Aid Alberta and one to National Student Loan).

All students must be registered full-time for the period of their loan. If your loan covers both terms of Fall/Winter, you must be registered for credit in courses with a combined weight of 9 or more in each term in order to have your loan approved.

First year undergraduate students receiving a student loan must pay a Tuition Deposit by the deadline provided on the letter of acceptance.

The fees due to the University are the first charge against the loan. If the amount of assistance awarded is less than the full amount of fees, the balance of fees owing is subject to normal fee payment regulations and deadlines.

Students must maintain full-time status for the duration of their student loan period to remain eligible for their loan funding.

Students receiving assistance from a province other than Alberta should contact student loan providers in their home province regarding loan disbursement and cashing.

Out of Province Student Loans

All out-of-province government student loans are available online to the staff in Student Receivables, Billing and Collections, Finance Services, Shared Services. When you receive notification from Student Receivables, please bring your ONEcard, SIN Card, and Notice of Assessment to have your loan confirmed. Students wishing to pay by term must present a Student Finance Board Notice of Assessment or Funding Summary indicating further loan disbursements. Without this document, the tuition and fees for the year will be deducted.