Thank you for your interest! Applications for Summer 2020 are now open.
Please follow these steps carefully to apply:
- Please review the eligibility criteria and important dates before starting an application.
- Review the available research projects on our website. You can filter by the program type 'UARE Summer'. Please click on the Project Title row to view further details, such as the Host Professor, Academic Background(s) or Research Skills Desired from applicants, as well as the Start Date(s), Internship Location and Project Details.
- Apply to the UARE Summer 2020 project(s) you are interested in through the Horizons database: https://ualberta-horizons.symplicity.com/?mode=list
- On the Horizons 'Search Programs' website page, look at the Results section. Check that the project title starts off with (UARE Summer 2020), then click on the hyperlinked research project title (under “Program Info) to view project details. There are currently CSC 2020 projects open for applications as well, but they are only open to students from China.
- You may apply for as many projects as you are interested in and qualified for. Please be sure to review the Academic Backgrounds section of the project listing for the qualifications.
Register to apply for UARE by clicking on the “Incoming Student Registration” button at the bottom of the description page of the project you are interested in applying to. Do not click on the “I need to register for an account” link located in the top-right of the page.
- You will be prompted to provide your personal information and create an account password.
- After your account is created you will log into the system using your new account information and complete the application. In the application you must provide a Cover Letter, Resume, Academic Transcripts and the contact information for TWO (2) References. Your TWO references (one professional, one academic) will be sent an email from the Horizons system with details of the information requested and how to submit it. Your references may attach a letter, or answer some questions on a form, or both. You are allowed and encouraged to send reference requests to more than two people well ahead of the deadline, in case you are unsure if someone is available to recommend your application. All of these items must be complete and included with your application by the deadline in order to be considered. Please remember to numerically indicate your project preference/ranking in the application forms (1 being your top preference, 2 being your second preference, etc.).
- Click on the “Submit Your Application” button. This should be done at least a few days before the deadline in order for your references to have enough time to electronically complete their recommendations. The system will confirm that your application has been submitted. After your application has been submitted, you will be able to check on whether the referees you designated have provided their references/recommendations. Only COMPLETE applications with TWO (2) references submitted by the published deadline will be considered.
- Should you be selected for an internship, any other steps regarding your application will be communicated to you by EMAIL outside of the Horizons Symplicity system. Please be sure that the primary email address you've entered in the system is spelled correctly and checked frequently.
Please remember to indicate your project preference(s) in each application you submit. If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
Only students selected for an internship will be contacted. Please review the Important Dates for a timeline of when results will be released.