Step 2 – Corresponding with Faculty Members
All graduate students must have a faculty member agree to supervise their program before admission is approved. We strongly recommend that you review the faculty members’ web pages and contact those whose research interests match your own to discuss the possibility of joining Human Ecology under their supervision.
Items to include in your email:
Link to Current Research & Faculty Members
- A description of your research interests (Why are you interested in their work and why do you feel you would be a good fit?)
- Attach your Curriculum Vitae, including any publications
- Attach a scanned copy of your transcripts
- If applicable, attach a scanned copy of English language proficiency
Step 3 - Applying Online & Submitting Documents
APPLY FOR ADMISSION
Once you have verified your eligibility, please apply for admission by clicking on the Apply Now button at the top of this page. In order to successfully submit your application for admission, you will be required to upload the following supporting documents to the online application system:
- OFFICIAL Transcripts/ Marksheets in original language & English translations. Scans must be from official documents and must include the grading system used at that institution.
- OFFICIAL English languages scores (if applicable)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Goals & Objectives Form
- Names & contact information of THREE references
- Writing Sample (PhD applicants only)
Note: A non-refundable application fee of $100 CAD will be assessed when you apply.
February 1 for Fall term (September) Admission
Step 4 – Await the Official Admission Decision
Once we have received all of the required documents, your application is considered complete and the application will move forward to the review process. Applicants will be contacted by email once an official decision has been made. Please be aware that the review process only happens once per year, so it may take some time to receive an official admission decision.
Successful applicants will receive a department letter of offer that will outline the details of the admission. The official letter of acceptance will be issued by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) at a later date, and be sent by email to your University of Alberta email address. Successful international applicants will require the letter of acceptance from FGSR in order to proceed with the application for travel documents such as a study permit and VISA.
IMPORTANT: Official documents (transcripts, degree certificates, etc.) may be required upon receiving the conditional offer of admission letter. Documents must be sent directly from the post-secondary institution to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research office. Detailed instructions will be outlined in your offer letter.