New Student/Staff Safety Seminar
The department offers a general safety orientation for new students and researchers. This seminar is required for all students, postdoc fellows, research assistants and technicians who have access (i.e., keys) to the Chemical and Materials Engineering Building (CME) or NINT building (5th Floor). Seminars are offered in January, May and September. Please contact Shaofeng Yang (email@example.com) if you missed this seminar.
Training and Access Requirements
Online Safety Training Courses
In order to work in a CME lab, you need to take the following online safety courses:
Laboratory Specific Training
The lab specific safety training will be offered by the principal investigator (PI) of the research project (or his/her designated personnel). This training should cover the following:
- General safety information of the lab
- PPE requirement/policy
- Laboratory emergency response plan
- Locations of safety equipment (fire alarm pull station, eye wash station, safety shower, spill kit, first aid kit)
- Working alone protocol
- Waste (chemical, biological, glass) storage and disposal procedures
- WHMIS - lab specific / SDS location
- Safe operating procedures for the lab/project
- Training in equipment/instrument
Note: A training record for every equipment/instrument should be maintained that is signed off by both the trainer and trainee.
Health and Safety Manuals
You are also required to go through the following safety manuals.
Laboratory key request
After you have completed the required safety training, you can ask Marion Pritchard, at the department’s reception on the 12th floor of DICE building for a New Employee Orientation Checklist
. In order to get your keys for the lab you need to make sure that you have completed all the safety training listed on the checklist and have your supervisor or PI sign at the bottom of the sheet.