Employee and Family Assistance Program

Get Help Now

Faculty and staff can access crisis support 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

Employee and Family Assistance Program:

  • 780-428-7587
  • 1-800-663-1142 (Toll-free english)
  • 1-866-298-9505 (Numéro gratuit en français)
  • 1-888-384-9505 (Teletype TTY)
  • 604-689-1717 (International—call collect)

In case of an emergency, call 911.

University of Alberta students call counseling and clinical services at 780-492-5205 (during business hours) or 211 (24/7). Graduate students can access the Graduate Student Assistance Program (GSAP)—see bottom of the page.

UPDATE January 31, 2022: Homewood Health is an external service provider contracted by the university to provide support services for employees, family members and graduate students, through our EFAP and GSAP programs. Homewood Health was recently impacted by a cyber security breach and with the assistance of external cyber security and privacy experts, took immediate steps to contain the incident and to ensure that its systems were and are secure. There has been no evidence of any disclosure or misuse of impacted information; based on efforts undertaken by Homewood Health and its third-party cyber security experts, it is believed such risk is low.

As a precautionary measure, individuals who accessed EFAP or GSAP services between 2018 and 2020 are encouraged to contact Homewood Health to confirm if their information has been affected and to learn more about available identity and credit monitoring protection. (Call 1-833-787-2862 or complete their online form.)

The Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) provides staff, faculty, and their eligible dependents with:

  • confidential counselling services
  • online courses
  • nutritional counselling and personal training/fitness consultations
  • legal and financial consultation
  • cultural- and gender-specific support
  • career consultation
  • workshops and learning opportunities

Reach out for confidential support with:

  • anxiety, stress, depression, addiction, mental health, self-esteem, post-traumatic stress, trauma
  • conflict, home difficulties, personal issues, decision-making, work/life balance concerns, grief and loss
  • workplace challenges, communication

Counsellors are registered psychologists or master’s-level registered counsellors selected for their breadth of experience, and their focus one cognitive behavioural therapy. See Clinician Profiles.

EFAP Brochure

Questions about EFAP? The Frequently Asked Questions page may have the answer!

Share your feedback

Tell us about your experience with the EFAP program through the anonymous survey. Your comments and suggestions help us better meet the needs of faculty and staff.

Wellbeing tools and resources

Our EFAP provider offers Homeweb, an online platform with health and wellbeing courses and articles. Register for Homeweb when accessing for the first time.

Graduate Student Assistance Program

The university also administers the Graduate Student Assistance Program (GSAP). This program, specifically for graduate students has been available since 2008 and has some similar components to the EFAP program. Additional information on the GSAP program can be found on the brochure as well as the Graduate Student Association website.



Health Wellness, Financial
VP Services & Finance