There are many housing options for international students, both on campus and around Edmonton. Here are resources for finding a place to live, including temporary accommodations when you first arrive.
On Campus Residence
Living on campus is a great option. International students who prefer living in residence do so because of the convenient location, the organized program of activities to help students build new friendships, the academic support available, and the fact that housing can be arranged before arriving in Edmonton.
There are two types of residences at UAlberta:
Residences at the University of Alberta offer housing for students based on your year of study. This way, your neighbours will be experiencing the same things as you, whether it's learning to cook for the first time, studying for finals or working on your thesis.
Residences fill up quickly, so apply early! You do not need final admission to the university before applying for University housing! Apply here.
Off Campus Housing
Here are some tips to help you look for accommodation:
- Arrive two weeks to a month before classes to arrange off-campus housing.
- Reserve in advance a minimum one week for temporary accommodation before you arrive so that you will have a place to stay while you arrange permanent housing.
- Visit the accommodation in person and meet any prospective roommates - If you are not able to see the accommodation in person, ask the landlord to provide you with pictures of each room.
- Review rental agreement details. Staff cannot enter into any housing agreement on your behalf.
- Prices will vary depending on size, location, etc. and may include the cost of utilities (electricity, heat, water, etc.) in the rent. Example: a one bedroom apartment rentals range upwards from $550 per unit, per month. If these are not included, ask what the average cost is in the winter, when it is likely to be most expensive.
- Sharing accommodations can be less expensive than renting an apartment alone.
- Find out about laundry facilities and public transportation.
We urge you to book your accommodations prior to your arrival in Edmonton, if at all possible.
Reservations are recommended for all temporary accommodations. Contact these accommodations directly to make your own reservations. When you do, make sure to mention you are a new international student at the U of A to receive any available discount.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require additional temporary accommodation suggestions. The temporary accommodations listed below have been chosen because they are relatively inexpensive and/or near the campus:
Homestays in Edmonton
If you prefer to have your housing arranged in advance of your arrival, and are interested in living with a Canadian family, a home stay may be a good option for you.