Living and Working Here

Faculty of Nursing

The Faculty of Nursing is one of eight Health Sciences Faculties at University of Alberta working collaboratively to facilitate interdisciplinary research and team-based inter-professional education. Our move to the Edmonton Clinic Health Academy in 2011 brought together students and staff from across the Health Sciences Faculties to share space, ideas and innovations.

The Edmonton Clinic Health Academy is one of two facilities that, together, represent a partnership between Alberta Health Services, the University of Alberta and the Government of Alberta that is designed to change how we deliver outpatient care, as well as health sciences education and research in the province. 

University of Alberta

A Top 5 Canadian university and one of the Top 100 in the world, the University of Alberta is home to more than 170 graduate programs, 200 undergraduate programs and 400 active student groups. 

More than 11,000 unique individuals are a part of the dynamic and complex University of Alberta community. Their collective knowledge, talent and skills are building one of the world's great universities for the public good.  


Proud home to the University of Alberta, Edmonton is an energetic, modern city of more than one million people - you'll find it's just the right size.  

  • Child Care

    The University is affiliated with a number of day care centres in the campus area. Several other child care options are available throughout the city. The following links provide useful information in securing the appropriate child care for your family. In addition, you are eligible to receive reimbursement for child care expenses up to a maximum of $2,000 per child.  Read more about Child Care Resources here.

    - University of Alberta Affiliated Child Care Information

    - Child Care In Alberta

  • Education

    When it comes to selecting a school from kindergarten to grade 12 you can choose from a wide range of options including public schools, separate schools, Francophone schools, private schools and charter schools.

    You can also access a number of unique and innovative programs including home education, online/virtual schools, outreach programs and alternative programs. The Alberta Education website has all the information you need to find the best choice for your family.

    Looking for information on post-secondary schools? These two sites should have the information you need:

    - Post-Secondary Schools

    - Alberta Government - Learning Information Service

  • Health care

    Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

    Alberta has a publicly administered and funded health care system that guarantees eligible residents of Alberta receive universal access to medically necessary hospital and health care services. All new and returning Alberta residents must register for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan coverage to receive insured hospital and physician services. Information about how to register can be found on their website Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.

    Useful links:

  • Housing

    There are a number of options for housing in Edmonton. You may want to browse the City of Edmonton - Neighbourhood Maps to identify preferred locations. In addition, the greater Edmonton area includes nearby cities and towns such as Beaumont, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Leduc, Spruce Grove and Stony Plain. Here are a few sites you may find useful to start your internet search.

  • Living in Edmonton
  • Moving to Edmonton

    Once you have accepted a position with the Faculty of Nursing your Faculty of Nursing contact along with a Relocation Consultant from the University of Alberta Relocation Office will work with you to manage your move to Edmonton.

    We will arrange a time for you to visit Edmonton for a house-hunting trip and provide support to organize the move of your household possessions. The University covers many of the moving expenses as identified in the Moving Expenses Policy

  • Spousal Support

    The Spousal/Partner Employment Program assists spouses and partners of newly hired academic staff in their employment search.

  • Working in Canada

    The following information will be of interest to non-Canadian candidates:

    Offers of employment are conditional upon a favourable Labour Market Opinion (LMO) by Service Canada confirming that a foreign national may fill the position, and subsequent issuance of a work permit. Continuance of your position is further contingent upon you gaining approval for Permanent Residence from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

    The Faculty of Nursing will complete the LMO Application and once approved you can then apply for a Work Permit to work in Canada. The next step is to apply for permanent resident status. The UA Academic Services (Immigration) Office is available to provide advice and guidance through this process.

    As soon as you arrive in Canada, you need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for payroll purposes. Application forms are available at a local Service Canada office or at the Service Canada website.