Moving + Relocation Support

Academic and excluded staff members may be provided with travel and relocation assistance to take up employment at the University of Alberta at the discretion of the hiring unit.


The Moving and Relocation Expenses Procedure outlines allowable travel and relocation expenses to assist eligible staff members and their spouse/partner and dependent children in moving from their current primary residence to their new residence.

Review and follow the Checklist for Faculties, Units, and Departments to assist you in navigating this process. Following the steps will ensure that relocation terms align with the university's procedure and make the expense reimbursement process easier for the new employee.

NOTE: Variances to the Moving and Relocation Expenses procedure require advanced authorization from the Director of HR Services, Shared Services. The Talent Acquisition Support team is also available to provide guidance and support on this process. Contact the Staff Service Centre for assistance.

Expenses that can be reimbursed

Relocation of Household Possessions + Personal Effects

Staff members are provided a weight allowance for removal of household items from their current primary residence, which includes packing, loading, shipping, unloading and 30 days storage based on the number of family members being relocated and the most economical method. If a private automobile is being shipped, the cost may be covered under the maximum weight allowance. Any expenses in excess of the weight allowance will be the responsibility of the staff member, unless the hiring unit agrees to provide additional relocation assistance.

Allowance of Household Goods
Number of Individuals Relocation Maximum Weight Allowance of Household Goods
Staff member. 6,000 lbs
Staff member coming with spouse/partner. 10,000 lbs
Staff member coming with dependent children. 6,000 lbs, plus 1,000 lbs for each dependent
Staff member coming with spouse/partner and dependent children. 10,000 lbs, plus 1,000 lbs for each dependent
Staff member and spouse/partner both appointed to academic staff positions (spousal hire). 12,000 lbs, plus 1,000 lbs for each dependent
Travel + Accommodation for House-hunting Trip + Terminal Trip

The house-hunting trip covers the cost of economy airfare, by the most direct route, and reasonable hotel accommodation up to a maximum of four nights for two immediate family members (i.e. staff member, spouse/partner, or a dependent child). The family member must reside with the staff member and be completing the move with them. Meals, car rental, taxi, parking, etc. would be covered as part of the non-accountable moving allowance.

The terminal trip includes the cost of economy one-way air travel, by the most direct route, for staff member, spouse/partner and dependent children. If the new hire chooses to drive their private automobile by the most direct route, fuel expenses (not mileage) and reasonable hotel accommodation up to two nights can be reimbursed.

The university strongly encourages hiring units to arrange the air travel and/or hotel booking using a Travel Authorization Payment (TAP) and/or Hotel Authorization Payment (HAP) which results in fewer out-of-pocket expenses for the new hire. However, the new hire can also be reimbursed by submitting an expense report.

Moving Allowance

The Non-Accountable Moving Allowance is a non-taxable payment for up to $500 if the new hire is moving from within Canada and up to $650 if moving from outside of Canada.

  1. The new hire completes the Non-Accountable Moving Allowance Form and forwards it to the hiring unit.
  2. Once received by the hiring unit, they add their combo code and send the original to the Staff Service Centre.

The university doesn't require receipts for this allowance; however, we suggest that the new hire keep all receipts in case they are audited by Canada Revenue Agency. The Canada Revenue Agency’s website has a list of moving expenses  that can be paid or reimbursed as a non-taxable benefit to the new hire. Any expenses not listed are generally considered a taxable benefit to the new hire.

Expenses incurred may be paid directly by the university or reimbursed to the staff member on a non-taxable basis.

A new hire who voluntarily leaves the services of the university before rendering 24 months service will be required to refund a portion of the removal expenses that the university has reimbursed.

Expenses that will not be reimbursed

  • Travel or relocation for staff members who already reside within 50 km of the university.
  • Movement between University of Alberta campuses.
  • Movement of office/lab/library, scholarly collection or research equipment.
  • Secondary location moves.

Initiating a move

  1. Hiring unit has the new hire complete a Personal Information Request Form.The hiring unit forwards the Personal Information Request Form to both approved moving companies, AMJ Campbell and Armstrong Moving using the Request Quote template.
  2. The moving companies contact the new hire to complete an estimate of the weight and cost to transport their household possessions and personal effects. Armstrong Moving and AMJ Campbell both have national agreements with the Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO) who provide discounted rates to universities and colleges.
  3. Both moving companies send quotes to the hiring unit.
  4. The hiring unit awards the contract using the Award Contract template to the company with the most economical quote.
  5. The moving company sends the invoice to the hiring unit whereby they put their department/faculty speed code, account 502465 and submit it to the Staff Service Centre for processing.

For moves outside of Canada

Complete a Letter of Undertaking + Reversal Contract

If the move is from outside of Canada, a Letter of Undertaking and Reversal Contract need to be completed by the hiring unit. The Letter of Undertaking states that the university will pay duties and taxes in the event that the goods do not comply with Canada’s customs laws. The Reversal Contract is a way to get that cost back from the new hire if the situation arises. The hiring unit provides the new hire with the Reversal Contract and a completed Letter of Undertaking. The new hire must return a signed copy of the Reversal Contract prior to the move. The hiring unit must send a copy of both documents to Customs Services, Finance Procurement & Planning at

Clearing Customs

For moves from the United States or overseas, household goods will need to clear customs prior to the moving company delivering the goods to the residence. The staff member will be contacted by the moving company and given 24 hours’ notice to clear customs, in person, at the Edmonton International Airport. The goods will be held in bonded storage until customs releases them. Any bonded storage charges that are incurred due to the staff member’s unavailability to clear customs when they arrive will be charged to them. The staff member must have a valid work permit and offer letter (confirmation of employment) in hand before their goods will be released.