Step 1 – Check Your Eligibility
- Four-year undergraduate degree (preferably Science or Engineering based), or its academic equivalent, from a recognized institution, and:
- Grade point average (GPA) of 3.3 out of 4.0 or B+ on a letter-based scale in the last two years (approximately 60 credits) of post-secondary study.
Review the following links to assess your eligibility:
Learn more about international student life with University of Alberta International and International Student Services.
Note: We do not require GRE test scores for admission purposes.
Step 2 - Obtaining Supervision
All graduate students (both course-based and thesis-based) must have a faculty member agree to supervise their program before admission is approved. We strongly recommend obtaining supervision prior to applying online. Applications with no prospective supervisor listed will not be reviewed for admission.
Contact faculty members in the research area of interest about pursuing a graduate degree under their supervision. Items to include in your email:
- A description of your research interests (why are you interested in their work and how do you feel you would be a good fit in their lab?)
- Attach your Curriculum Vitae, and include any publications
- Attach a copy of your transcripts
- If applicable, attach a copy of your English language proficiency
Faculty Members and Current Research
Step 3 - Applying Online & Submitting Documents
Once you have verified your eligibility, please apply for admission by clicking on the Apply Now button at the top of this page. In order to successfully submit your application for admission you will be required to upload the following supporting documents to the online application system:
- OFFICIAL Transcripts/Marksheets in original language & English translations. Scans must be from official documents and must include the grading system used at that institution.
- OFFICIAL English languages scores (if applicable)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement Form (available on the application portal)
- Names & contact information of three references
Note: A non-refundable application fee of $100 CAD will be assessed when you apply.
Step 4 - Await the Official Admission Decision
Once we have received all of the required documents, your application is considered complete and the application will move forward to the review process. Applicants will be contacted by email once an official decision has been made.
Successful applicants will receive a department letter of offer that will outline the details of the admission. The official letter of acceptance will be issued by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) at a later date, and be sent by email to your University of Alberta email address. Successful international applicants will require the letter of acceptance from FGSR in order to proceed with the application for travel documents such as a study permit and VISA.
IMPORTANT: Official documents (transcripts, degree certificates, etc.) may be required upon receiving the conditional offer of admission letter. Documents must be sent directly from the post-secondary institution to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research office. Detailed instructions will be outlined in your offer letter.