Editor: Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 7/2019 -
Fields of Research: Industrial Organization, Applied Microeconomics, Agricultural Economics
My primary field of research is Industrial Organization, with research interests in Intellectual Property Rights, innovation, and problems related to agricultural markets. My research is concerned with the limits of patent protection, and focuses on the strategic behavior of innovators. I also have investigated the impact of regulation on research investments, the economic implications of litigation, and the welfare implications of changes in the patent system.
- “Green Technology and Patents in the Presence of Green Consumers,” with Amrita Ray Chaudhuri, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Vol. 7, 1, 73-101, 2020.
- “Subjective Performance of Patent Examiners, Implicit Contracts and Self-Funded Patent Offices,” with Philippe Marcoul, Managerial and Decision Economics, Vol. 40, 3, 251-266, 2019. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1002/mde.2999
- “Plant Breeders' Rights, Patents and Incentives to Innovate,” with Adrien Hervouet, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 43(1), 118-150, 2018.
- “The Search of Prior Art, and the Revelation of Information by Patent Applicants,” with Philippe Marcoul, Review of Industrial Organization 49(3), 399-427, 2016.
- “Spatial Efficiency of Genetically Modified and Organic Crops,” with
Stefan Ambec and Philippe Marcoul, Strategic Behavior and the
Environment, 5:31-59, 2015.
- “A Survey of the Economics of Patent Systems and Procedures,” with
Andrew Eckert, The Journal of Economic Surveys, Vol 28, 5, 996-1015,
- “Pool of Basic Patents and Follow-up Innovations,” Economic Inquiry, Vol. 49, Issue 4, pp. 1070-1082, 2011.
- “Are Intellectual Property Rights Detrimental to Innovation?” with
Claude Crampes, International Journal of the Economics of Business, Vol.
16, No. 3, pp 249-268, 2009.
- “Contributory Infringement Rule and Patents,” with Philippe Marcoul,
Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 70 pp 296–310, 2009.
- “Agricultural Production Clubs: Viability and Welfare Implications,”
with B. Babcock, Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial
Organization: Vol. 6 : Iss. 1, Article 10, 2008. Available at:
- “Incentives to Reduce Crop Trait Durability,” with Stefan Ambec and
Stéphane Lemarié, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 90(2),
pp. 379-391, 2008.
- “Technology Licensing to a Rival,” with Caroline Boivin, Economics Bulletin, vol.12, 14, pp. 1-8, 2005.
- “Using Patents to Mislead Rivals,” Canadian Journal of Economics, vol. 38, 2, pp. 520-545, 2005.
- “Are Patents Strategic Barriers to Entry?” Journal of Economics and Business, vol. 56, 5, pp. 349-361, 2004.
- “Litigation and Settlement in Patent Infringement Cases,” with Claude
Crampes, RAND Journal of Economics, vol. 33, 4, pp 258-274, 2002.
- “The Economics of Patents: An Overview,” with GianCarlo Moschini in
“Intellectual Property Rights and Patenting in Animal Breeding and
Genetics,” edited by Scott Newman and Max Rothschild, CABI Publishing,
- “Information Disclosure in the Renewal of Patents,” with Claude Crampes,
Les Annales d'Economie et Statistique, 49-50, pp. 265-288, 1998.
Reprinted in The Economics and Econometrics of Innovation, ed. Encaoua,
Hall, Laisney, Mairesse, Kluwer academic publishers, 2000.
Work in Progress
- “Bundle of Patents and Licensing of Biotechnology Traits” with Stéphane Lemarié
- “Spatial Management of Pesticide Resistance” with Sylvie Charlot and Philippe Marcoul
- “The effect of Patent Continuation on the Patenting Process”
- “Competition in Green Technology and Green Consumers,” with Amrita Ray Chaudhuri
- “Impacts of Climate Change Risk on Reciprocal Behavior in Public Goods Games,” with Emilie Zentner, Maik Kecinski, and Vic Adamowicz