Admission to our program is competitive, and based on four factors:
Meeting or exceeding our requirements (see step 1 below).
The quality of all aspects of the complete application (including the C.V., written statement of research interests and letters of reference)
Find a potential supervisor willing to supervise your program (see step 2 for more details)
Having the minimum guaranteed funding, attained through one or a combination of:
Scholarships – explore scholarships, funding and awards
Teaching assistantship (TA) – Your application will be considered in the TA competition
- External funding (grant, industry, government, etc.)
WE WILL BE ACCEPTING ON-LINE APPLICATIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2018 ENTRY TO OUR GRADUATE PROGRAM STARTING OCTOBER 1, 2017.
The Department application deadline for September 2018 is February 1, 2018.
Use our step-by-step guide to apply for graduate programs. NOTE: We no longer require a preliminary application from any applicant.
STEP 1: Check your eligibility
THIS IS CRITICAL. Contact one or more members of our academic staff about pursuing a graduate degree under their supervision. Include in your email:
- a description of your research interests (why are you interested in their work? A personalized email is more likely to get a response than a generic request)
- attach a C.V.
- attach a scan of your transcripts
- if applicable, attach a scan of proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) See minimum English requirements.
NOTE: Only once you've received a positive response from at least one academic encouraging you to apply, should you complete the remaining steps. *Interest from an academic does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
STEP 3: Prepare the following:
- Download and complete the Departmental Package (PDF, 809kb)
- Collect scanned copies of your transcripts/marksheets (for uploading into the application system)
STEP 4: Identify 3 Referees
Three letters of references are required for your application to graduate studies. Referees will use the new online system to submit their letters.
STEP 5: Apply Now through the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research