1) Apply online
Use the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) online application. Please make note of the UserName/Email Address and Password used to create the application. You will require this information to login to the Applicant Portal later.
2) Upload required information
During the application process, you will be required to upload the following information directly to the online application:
- Transcripts: One official copy (front and back of each page) from each post-secondary institution you have attended. The copy of the transcript must include the grading scale used by the institution.
- Department Package: The department package is a single document that you are required to fill in. It includes the following sections: academic background, relevant professional employment experience, academic honours received, refereed contributions, non-refereed contributions, conference presentations, other contributions and a statement of purpose. You will also be required to list the names of three U of A Chemistry faculty members whose area of research are of interest to you. A link to the document is found on the application form. Use the space provided, additional pages will not be accepted.
- Letters of reference
We require three (3) letters of reference to support your application for graduate admission. They should be written by persons who are familiar with your Chemistry background and who are providing support for your application. You will be required to list the names and email addresses of the referees. The referees will receive an automatic email instructing them how to submit the letter of reference online. The email to the referees is sent once the application has been submitted.
3) Submit application and pay the application fee
To complete the application, a non-refundable fee payment of $100 is required. Payment can only be made with a valid major credit card. If you are admitted, this fee will be reimbursed upon your arrival in Edmonton.
When the application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. This email is very important. Please KEEP this email. It contains information about the Applicant Portal. Please refer to the Applicant Portal Quick Reference Guide to manage your application.
4) Await response from the department
Once complete your application is forwarded to the Chemistry Admissions Committee for review. The review process can take several weeks, or longer during peak processing times. During this period, please refrain from contacting the Chemistry Graduate Office regarding the status of your application. The status of your application is updated via the Applicant Portal. If your application is successful, you will receive an official admission letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Please do not make arrangements to send hard copies of your documents at this time. Please do not follow any instructions on Bear Tracks. Hard copy original documents are only required if you are admitted. The official admission letter contains instructions about documentation.
5) Visit the department
If you have been accepted for admission into graduate studies, we invite you to visit the Department of Chemistry. Tour the facilities, meet our faculty and students, and explore the city of Edmonton.
To arrange a visit, contact any member of the Recruitment Committee if one has not already contacted you.
Graduate Recruitment Committee
We are able to pay for local expenses such as meals and accommodation. The department also has funds available to cover travel expenses, which we will extend at our discretion to admitted Canadian students.
6) Accept our offer
We ask that you accept or decline the offer of admission via the Applicant Portal as soon as possible.