What is the minimum grade point average requirement for graduate study?

The grade point average obtained during the last 60 units of course weight of undergraduate (or graduate) study must be at least 3 on the 4-point grading scale used at the University of Alberta or an equivalent standing from another recognized institution. Information on international grade equivalencies can be found here.

What are the admission deadlines?

Early application is encouraged to ensure maximum opportunity to obtain funding. See admission deadlines for all programs on the Graduate Studies page

Do I need a supervisor?

A supervisor is required for thesis-based programs- this must be an EAS faculty member. Applications that do not have a supervisor listed will be rejected. If no prospective supervisor expresses interest, please DO NOT apply.

What are the language requirements?

English Language Proficiency (ELP) Exam Information

*Important: ELP test scores more than two years old cannot be verified. If an applicant's ELP test score is more than two years old, they will be required to re-take the test.

What are the requirements for referee letters?

Letters must be in English, on letterhead, signed with a physical signature, and in PDF format. It is preferred to have one academic reference and one professional, however, in certain circumstances we will accept either two academic references, or two professional references.

How much is the application fee?

$135 (non-refundable)

How will application status updates be communicated?

All status updates will be communicated via the application portal (GSMS). Please DO NOT contact the Department about the status of your application.

What type of funding is available?

Teaching assistantships, research assistantships, scholarships, and bursaries are available to eligible students. For further information on funding, see the Financial Assistance page. Early application is encouraged to ensure maximum opportunity to obtain funding.

Is housing available?

On-campus residences are available for prospective students, as well as assistance locating off-campus housing. Additional information is available through Residence Services.