1. When is the deadline for application submission?

February 1. 


2. What are the eligibility requirements?

Minimum GPA of B (3.0) over the latest 60 courseweights of graded academic work (about the last 2 years of a 4-year baccalaureate degree).

ESL classroom teaching experience (either paid or volunteer); we recommend a minimum of 75 hours.


3. What are the language requirements for persons whose first language is not English?

Students entering the MEd program must have a TOEFL iBT overall score of 94 with a minimum of 22 in Listening, 22 in Reading, 22 in Speaking and 24 in Writing; or an IELTS Academic overall score of 7 with a minimum of 6.5 in each skill area.


4. Do I have to take Linguistics?

LING 101 is an important foundational knowledge course. Linguistics provides ESL teachers with important background information on the way languages work.


5. How long does it take to complete the program?

The TESL MEd can be completed in two years if an individual begins in September and attends full-time. Students have up to 6 years to complete the MEd on a part-time basis. However, Education students must register at least once in the Fall/Winter cycle to keep their program active. A lapsed program will require an application for re-admission before further registration can take place.


6. Can I apply courses from my Bachelor's or TESL Diploma program to the MEd?

The University does not allow students to apply one course to two credentials. In other words, if a course counted towards your Bachelor's or any other degree, it cannot count towards your MEd. A substitute course from the option list should be chosen instead.


7. If I take a course as an Open Studies or Diploma student, can it be applied to the MEd later?

If the course is an acceptable course in the program, and if it has not been used towards any other credential, it can be applied to the Master's. The number of courses nearest to, but not exceeding, 1/3 of the total units of course weight of a student's program (i.e., a maximum of 3 courses) may be transferred to the Master's if recommended by the department and approved by the FGSR on a case-by-case basis.


8. How much does the MEd cost?

This depends on whether you are a Canadian or international student and on how many courses you take. Check the Faculty of Graduate Studies web site Fees Guide for Canadian or International Students.


9. Can I use non-credit courses towards the MEd?

Non-credit courses cannot be substituted for credit courses. If you are interested in taking a short non-credit course out of interest, there are short courses available at both MacEwan University and NorQuest College.


10. Can I teach in the K-12 system with a Master's in TESL?

In order to teach in Canadian school systems, you must have a valid teaching certificate. The MEd is not a substitute for a teaching certificate.


11. Is a Master's in TESL going to get me a job teaching ESL to adults?

No credential guarantees a job. Adult ESL programs have varying hiring criteria. Many require a TESL Diploma or a Master's degree. Contact individual institutions for information on hiring practices. The Master's program satisfies the coursework requirements for ATESL accreditation and for TESL Canada Professional Certification: Standard Three.


12. How can I find out about jobs teaching ESL?

For positions overseas, the Internet is a good source of information on ESL programs - check sites such as Dave's ESL Café. The ATESL and the TESL Canada Websites and careers.tesol.org list job opportunities. The International Centre in HUB also has listings. For jobs within Alberta, it is useful to start networking through organizations such as Alberta Teachers of English as a Second Language (http://www.atesl.ca). The Directory of ESL/EAL Programs and Services in Selected Urban Centres in Alberta is found on the Catholic Social Services website.


13. Where can I get some ESL teaching experience?

Many organizations are pleased to have volunteer ESL teachers, including:

  • Cultural Connections Institute: The Learning Exchange
  • The Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers
  • NorQuest College
  • International Centre, University of Alberta