Do you hold any positions outside the clinic?
Professor for the department of Family Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry; Adjunct Professor for the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation; and Adjunct Professor for the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, all at the University of Alberta
What is your clinical speciality?
I specialize in primary care Sport and Exercise Medicine and care of musculoskeletal and medical issues in active individuals. I have special interest in health considerations of active females, and return-to-play issues, such as concussion in sport. In 2008 I won a Founders’ Award from the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM) in recognition of service exemplifying “The Best in Sports Medicine”; and in 2010 I won a Citation Award from the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
What did you study and where?
I studied Zoology and French Literature for a BSc from the University of Manitoba from 1972-1976 (I was at UBC from 1974-1976). I got an MDCM from McGill University in 1981 and an MPE (Exercise Physiology) from UBC from 1985-1992
Do you have any specific research interests & publications?
- Physician survey on knowledge base and clinical practice patterns of sport concussion
- Baseline concussion assessment in varsity athletes: A comparison between techniques and identification of possible risk factors using SCAT2 and ImPACT
- The use of a preseason questionnaire and baseline neurocognitive testing to help predict subsequent risk for concussion in collegiate athletes
- Dynamic imaging of the knee (MRI and biplane fluoroscopy) in patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS) and control subjects
- Assessment of knee joint stability in patients with anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) deficiency
- Resilience enhancement in military troops (with Dr. Ibolja Cernak, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine)
- Effects of immobilization vs. non-immobilization following rotator cuff repair; collaborator, Shoulder and Upper Extremity Research Group of Edmonton (SURGE) - 2009-present
Thornton J, Lewis J, Lebrun CM, Licksai, CJ. Clinical characteristics of women with menstrual-linked asthma. Respiratory Medicine 2012; 106(9): 1236-1243.
Lebrun, CM. Chapter: Chest Trauma: Thoracic injuries and Conditions. Sports Medicine: Study Guide and Review for the Boards. Eds. M. Harrast and J. Finnoff. Demos Medical Publishing. New York, New York; 2012. pp. 339-48
Lebrun, CM. Chapters edited and rewritten: Shoulder (Chapter 9, pp. 323-349); Exercise-induced bronchospasm (Chapter 14, pp. 300-309); Dermatology (Chapter 18, pp. 455-501). Oxford Handbook of Sports Medicine, 2e Edition. Ed. M. Hawkes. Oxford University Press: Oxford UK; 2012.
Lebrun, CM, Mrazik M, Prasad AS et al. Sport concussion knowledge base, clinic practises and needs for continuing medical education: a survey of family physicians and cross-border comparison. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2013; 47:54-59.
Mrazik M, Naidu D, Lebrun CM, Game A, Matthews-White J. Does fitness level impact report of concussion symptoms in college athletes? Journal of Athletic Training. 2013 (accepted 2012 - in press for 2013)
Lebrun CM, Constantini N, Joyce S. Chapter 16: Effects of Female Reproductive Hormones on Sports Performance. In Endocrinology of Physical Activity and Sport, 2nd Edition. Eds. N Constantini & A Hackney. Springer US: Philadelphia, PA. 2013 (in press)
Do you work specific days/hours?
Monday mornings and Wednesdays
Are you affiliated with any teams?
I was physician for the Eastern Training Centre Canadian Rowing Team in London, ON from 1995-2007. I was Medical Director for Canada Snowboard from 2007 to 2011 and Chief Doctor for Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
I was also a member of the Canadian Medical Team for 4 Summer Olympic and 2 Winter Olympics Games: Vancouver 2010, Beijing 2008 (Assistant Chief Medical Office), Torino 2006, Athens 2004, Sydney 2000, and Atlanta 1996. My other major games experience includes Pan-American Games (1987, 1991, 2003), World Student Games (1989, 1999) and Francophone Games (1994). I am a former member of the Canadian Women’s Volleyball Team and competed in World Student Games (1973, 1977), the 1975 Pan-American Games, and the 1976 Montreal Olympics