Gender Transition

The Human Rights Act was amended in June 2017 to ensure that gender identity and gender expression were added to the list of protected grounds under the Act. At the same time, Criminal Code provisions were also amended adding to the list of identifiable groups protected from hate propaganda.

Human Resource Services (HRS) is committed to assisting and supporting staff and faculty members transitioning in the workplace. The following information and resources have been provided to assist. While not all of the following information will apply, some of the benefit information may also be relevant while supporting a partner, child or family member.

What can a transitioning faculty or staff member expect from management/human resources?

All faculty and staff members can expect that their decision will be respected and that programs, services and benefits are accessible by faculty/staff members during a transition. Managers and leaders will be sufficiently educated on the resources available and support will be provided as requested/as appropriate.

What office(s) or resources are available to assist me during my transition?

The offices able to provide resources and services to staff and faculty members on a number of life events including but not limited to gender transition, are Human Resource Services (Payroll & Benefit Services, Human Resource Partners) The Landing, and the Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights. The University of Alberta Health Centre is also a resource accessible to staff, students and faculty members.

Are there services available through the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)?

The EFAP program maintains a list of clinicians experienced with sexual health and gender identity. To access a current list of clinicians, please access our provider directly by calling 780.428.7587.

Where can someone begin to find information about starting medical transition?

If you or one of your eligible dependents (as defined by the Supplementary Health Care plan) would like to start the process of medical transition in Alberta, you will need to be referred to a gender specialist. If you are not already working with a family physician who can make the necessary referrals to specialists such as psychiatrists and endocrinologists, the University Health Centre offers services to students, staff and faculty. Alternatively, Health Link (ph: 811 or 1-866-408-5465) can also makes suggestions of family physician currently accepting new patients.

What should I do if I am interested in learning what benefits are available to assist me during my transition?

Individuals are encouraged to find their benefits advisor through Find Your HR Contact page. It is important to note that each individual working within Human Resource Services is bound by confidentiality and therefore any inquiries you have regarding your benefits will be held in the strictest of confidence.

How do I change my name?

Name changes can be requested and processed through Human Resources. In order to make the change, a completed Name Change form must be submitted with a Legal Change of Name Certificate or Passport. If requesting a name change by mail, a Certified True Copy of the aforementioned documentation must be signed by a Guarantor. Please see the Name Change form for additional information.

Preferred name: If you are interested in changing your preferred name, you have the ability to do so on BearTracks. Once logged in, under Personal Information and Names, you are able to edit your preferred name from that screen. Once changed, the preferred name will automatically be the name generated on your ONEcard, class and lab lists.

How do I change my CCID?

If you wish to change your CCID and have already legally changed your name, Information and Technology Services can either help create an alias for you through your profile manager that will change the way your name is displayed, or they may be able to change your CCID completely.

How do I change my ONEcard?

In order to change your ONEcard, you will be required to provide 2 pieces of government issued photo ID. If you do not have photo ID, government issued non-photo ID such as a birth certificate, social insurance card or temporary license can be used. If an individual wishes to use the preferred name change feature on BearTracks, the system will populate the name field when a new ONEcard is requested. There will be a fee associated with changing/replacing your card. The ONEcard site provides the associated fees.

Where are the all-gender washrooms on campus?

The current on-line version of the University of Alberta campus map identifies all-gender/single use washrooms. As building renovations continue on campus, there will likely be additions to this list. It is advisable to check back frequently. An updated map can be found by visiting and searching all-gender washrooms.

Additional resources

Alberta - "An information resource for and about trans* people of Alberta."

Creating Authentic Spaces: A Gender Identity and Gender Expression Toolkit

Discrimination, Harassment and Duty to Accommodate Policy - University of Alberta

Diverging Perspectives on LGBT+ Inclusion in the Workplace, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion

Hope for Wellness Help Line - provides immediate culturally competent telephone-based crisis intervention counseling to first nations and Inuit young people and adults experiencing distress. Callers can access 24/7. Toll free phone: 1-855-242-3310.

Pride Centre of Edmonton - website, resources and services

Publications, Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services, University of Alberta

Out and About - Towards a Better Understanding of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and transgender Persons in the Workplace - Government of Canada

Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity - U of A

The Gender booklet

TESA - Trans Equality Society of Alberta

The Landing - University of Alberta

Trans Life Line - A trans-specific suicide crisis line. Canada: