Do your part to keep everyone safe

See Expectations


Do your part to keep everyone safe

See Expectations


Do your part to keep everyone safe so we can all win the game

See Expectations

Your health and safety is considered every step of the way

Keeping you safe

Keeping you and our community safe is our priority. Review the health and safety measures we’ve implemented in our residences and dining halls.

See Preventive Measures

What you can do

You have an important role in keeping you and your community safe this year. See what's expected of you and the things you can do while living in residence.




Safety on campus

Check in when using spaces around campus, and read the university’s rapid response plan to learn how cases or outbreaks will be handled on campus.


University of Alberta's Rapid Response Plan

Current status

Residence is open and operational for Fall 2021 with health measures in place.

Residence Services continues to follow all preventative health measures as directed by Alberta Health Services, the Government of Alberta, the Government of Canada and the University of Alberta.

Communicating a case in residence
In situations where a case of COVID-19 is identified in residence, Residence Services will follow the University Protocol for Notifications Regarding Confirmed Cases of COVID-19. Operational notices will also be updated and posted here.

Latest COVID-19 updates

  • UPDATE: Understanding health measures in residence

    September 23, 2021

    Alberta has declared a public health emergency and the university has implemented new measures to ensure the safety of our campus community. Here’s what you need to know right now to understand how the university measures impact living in residence.

  • UPDATE: Masks required in residence

    August 30, 2021

    All students in residence must wear masks in indoor residence common areas except in select areas, and Residence has isolation rooms and support available. Learn more in this recent notice.

  • Read more
UAlberta residents walking outside wearing masks
Students eating in residence dining hall during COVID
Student sitting on the steps of a UAlberta Residence during COVID

Dodge COVID. Get vaccinated.

Vaccinations are the safest and most effective way to help stop the long term spread of COVID-19.

Vaccinations & the U of A: What you need to know

Hotel with people

Not feeling well? Need to isolate? We've got you covered.

Report your symptoms

If you feel ill, report your symptoms using the Wellness Alert System. Wellness Alert allows us to track the health of the community and address concerns early to minimize further spread.

If you have COVID-19 symptoms, see Isolation support below.

Residence Services encourages anyone who feels unwell to minimize close contact with others, avoid high risk locations like crowded indoor gatherings, wear a mask, wash hands frequently and increase cleaning in your unit.

Isolation support

If you have COVID-19 symptoms, complete the AHS COVID-19 Self-Assessment. If the assessment instructs you to isolate, please start isolating immediately. Please email to request isolation support and include your phone number to help us respond to you quickly.

Residence has designated isolation rooms and support available for you for the duration of your isolation. Isolation rooms have a private washroom to help you be more comfortable while ill. Residents in an isolation room will also be provided support with meals and garbage pickup for the duration of their isolation period.
Isolation supports are provided to residents at no additional cost.

Other resources

How to get tested for COVID-19

If you're interested in getting tested for COVID-19, start by taking the COVID-19 Self-Assessment for Albertans.

If your assessment recommends testing, you can book a test (for free!) even if you don't have an Alberta Health Care Card.

How to get tested

  1. Complete the AHS COVID-19 Self-Assessment
  2. If your assessment tells you to get tested, you'll be directed to a form. Fill it out!
  3. If you don't have an Alberta Healthcare Number, leave it blank

You can also book by calling Alberta Health Services at 8-1-1.

For up to date information regarding COVID-19 testing, visit the Government of Alberta's Symptoms and testing webpage.

Travel isolation

The University of Alberta continues to support new and returning international students’ isolation needs through the University of Alberta International (UAI) Off Campus Isolation and Travel Registry and partnership with the Study Safe Corridor (SSC) TravelSafe program.

Get more information on travel isolation for residents.

Health and safety on campus

For up-to-date information about health and safety on campus, visit COVID-19 Information for the U of A Community. Visit Safety Measures General Directives for up-to-date guidance and expectations for the campus community.

UAlberta students doing laundry during COVID
Financial assistance

Students can apply for emergency funding through Student Financial Support. International students are encouraged to go to International Student Services to learn about support specifically for international students.

Contact us

Resident Assistants are available to support all residents during Community Support Shift or “RA on shift” hours. For all other inquiries, please contact