Graduate Funding

Do I have to apply separately for funding?

When you apply for admission you will automatically be considered for any internal awards and funding for which you are eligible.

Graduate students are well funded. Master's students typically receive a support package covering one to two years of graduate study. Doctoral students receive two years of funding. Funding sources include departmental and university fellowships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships. The Director of Graduate Programs works closely with individual students to develop and write grant proposals. Information on language study grants, pre-doctoral grants, and funds for special research and travel connected with the writing of the dissertation may be obtained from the Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies. Additional information about graduate financial aid, including a student budget and tuition calculator, is available at the University of Alberta Financial Aid Office.

How do I apply for Graduate Research Assistantships?

There is no formal application procedure for GRA positions as they depend on the grants and research projects of individual faculty members. Please speak with the Director of Graduate Programs, the Graduate Advisor in your division, and other faculty members to find out about any GRA opportunities.

How to I apply for Graduate Teaching Assistantships?

There is no formal application procedure for GTA positions as they depend on the changing needs of the teaching faculty. Students typically will be informed about GTA assignments before July 1.

Am I eligible for Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) fellowships? How do I apply?

To be eligible for a SSHRC scholarship a student must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident entering or in any of the graduate programs. Students are eligible for SSHRC and Affiliated Fellowships during their first two years of master's study and first four years of doctoral study. The Department's Director of Graduate Programs works closely with students to develop research proposals. For more information please visit the Government of Canada's Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council website.

Can Traditional Fulbright American Students Awards support study at the University of Alberta?

Traditional Fulbright American Student Awards: Fulbright Canada is the Foundation for Educational Exchange Between Canada and the United States of America and awards are intended for American citizens who are graduate students, prospective graduate students, or promising young professionals who wish to study and/or conduct research in Canada. Awards may be held at any university, research center, think tank, or government agency in Canada. The award is valued at US$15,000 for one academic year beginning September.

For awards to be taken up in the 2022-2023 academic year, the competition opens in April 2021.