July 1 (September admission) & November 1 (January admission)
International applicants are encouraged to apply early to account for the processing time required to have a study permit issued.
Step-by-Step Application Process:
Please read the following instructions closely as incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Ensure you meet the minimum requirements
- A four-year baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited academic institution (a degree in Biochemistry or a closely related discipline is preferred, but outstanding applicants from more distantly related disciplines are encouraged to apply).
- A Grade Point Average of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (determined from the most recent two years of full-time course work). If you were awarded a degree by an institution that does not use a 4.0 scale, please check the minimum grade requirements for other countries.
- A research supervisor is required in order to be admitted to our department. You must have previously corresponded with this faculty member and have agreed to a tentative supervisory arrangement. If you are not sure which research group you might be interested in, please consult our website.
- Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Assets to an application would include: a GPA of 3.7 or higher, detailed and strongly supportive letters of recommendation, research experience, published papers, and conference presentations.
Complete the online application form
- Applications for graduate admission will only be accepted via the online portal. Documents submitted by email or post will not be reviewed.
Upload the required supporting documents
- Three letters of reference.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Statement of Intent - one or two pages summarizing your background in Biochemistry, future career goals, and an explanation as to why you wish to pursue graduate studies with our department.
- Copies of official transcripts and certificates/diplomas from all colleges or universities attended (and English translations as required).
- If applicable, proof of English Language Proficiency.
- A list and description of all biochemistry courses that you have taken outside of the University of Alberta.
- Copies of any research papers or publications.
Pay the application fee