Support Services & Modifications

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, CALL 911, then call U of A Protective Services at 780‑492‑5050 (24hrs).

If you need to talk to someone and are safe to do so, you can call, text, or chat the Alberta One Line for Sexual Violence at 1-866-403-8000.

Knowing who to talk to or what kind of help is available to you when you’ve experienced sexual violence can be difficult. Please know, you are not alone in your recovery, and there is a community of support ready to help you.

In addition to the team at the U of A Sexual Assault Centre, there are many people within and beyond the U of A community who are here to help. They offer confidential support, guidance, and information that can help you choose the recovery path that is best for your needs.

COVID-19 Note:

While certain services, like Safewalk may be temporarily closed due to COVID-19, the majority of campus services are open and ready to help you - remotely. 

Advice and Support

U of A Sexual Assault Centre

The U of A Sexual Assault Centre (UASAC) provides drop-in crisis intervention support to survivors of sexual violence and their supporters, as well as comprehensive educational workshops for the campus community. We actively work towards creating a campus community free of sexual violence and operate from a feminist, anti-oppressive, intersectional, trauma-informed, and person-centered framework.

We also offer an in-house psychological support program that includes options for both individual and group trauma counselling for all members of the campus community.

Contact the U of A Sexual Assault Centre by phone or email.


Office of the Dean of Students

The Office of the Dean of Students and its services are here to help any student who may have been impacted by sexual violence. The office includes wellness experts, student care coordinators and academic support professionals, all of whom are dedicated to helping you.

The Office of the Dean of Students staff will be able to help you determine if and what modifications and interim measures would be appropriate for you. They will also help you implement any modifications and where appropriate, will pursue interim measures for the individual accused of sexual violence.

Contact the Office of the Dean of Students by phone or email.


Peer Support Centre

The Peer Support Centre (PSC) is a Students' Union service that offers a free, confidential, and non-judgmental place to talk to someone for support. No issue is too big or too small. Our trained volunteers offer peer support, crisis management, information and resources, as well as a safe and confidential place to talk.

You can book an appointment with the Peer Support Centre online.

Residence Services

As student support professionals, Residence Services staff are prepared to listen and assist students living in residence who may have experienced or have concerns about sexual violence. Residence Services staff will be able to help connect students to further supports if and when needed.

Residence Services also works closely with other groups on campus, like the Sexual Assault Centre, to organize learning opportunities for residents. These learning opportunities normally focus on recognizing and preventing sexual violence within the Residence community.

Students living in residence are encouraged to contact their Residence Life Coordinator.

Contacts for Residence Assistants on Shift

Office of Safe Disclosure & Human Rights

The Office of Safe Disclosure & Human Rights provides a confidential, neutral and safe space for members of the University community (students, staff and faculty) to speak in confidence. The offices confidential and skilled advisors can also offer advising and consulting on any issue relating to Human Rights, Discrimination, Harassment and Accommodation issues. Disclosures made to the office can also be made anonymously through their online reporting tool.

Contact the Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights by phone, email, or their online reporting option.

Online Reporting (anonymous option included)

Helping Individuals at Risk

Helping Individuals at Risk (HIAR) is a confidential, centralized resource for members of the campus community to report worrisome behaviours or concerns about individuals at risk of harming themselves or others. The HIAR program receives confidential reports and helps connect individuals to supports before situations escalate. The HIAR staff offer guidance on next steps in cases regarding individuals at risk and can assist with assessing risk.

Contact HIAR by phone or email.



U of A Counselling Services

Counselling & Clinical Services aims to provide accessible and compassionate psychological and psychiatric services to U of A students. Using a short-term therapy model, they help students improve their personal, social, and academic well-being. They also offer consultative services to the University of Alberta community, like opportunities for faculty and staff to consult with us regarding students of concern.

Contact U of a Counselling Services via phone Monday — Friday (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)

Note: If you are in crisis or in need of immediate support, please phone ACCESS 24/7 at 780-424-2424, ext 2, the Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868, or the 24 Hour Distress Line at 780-482-4357.

Augustana Personal Counselling

The Augustana Counselling Therapist works with Augustana students to promote and support their capacity to grow, develop, adapt and change. Within this counselling relationship, the students’ current or past stressors, struggles or concerns are identified and explored. Together a plan is established that guides the therapeutic process toward the desired goals.

Students at Augustana can go online to book an appointment to speak with the Counselling Therapist. Appointments are available by phone or video call September — April.

Contact Augustana Counselling by phone, email, or their online appointment page.

Book an online appointment

Interfaith Chaplains Association

The Interfaith Chaplains' Association at the University of Alberta is made up of chaplains from a variety of denominations who cooperate with one another to care for the unique needs of the university community. Collectively, chaplains serve the university from the understanding that life, including academic life, is a spiritual journey. The chaplains are available to assist those students and staff impacted by sexual violence by offering spiritual guidance, care and support.

Contact the Interfaith Chaplains Association by phone or email.

To contact a chaplain of a specific faith, please consult the online Faith Directory.

Employee & Family Assistance Program

This Employee & Family Assistance Program, which includes counselling and support in dealing with traumatic events, is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It can be accessed by all staff, faculty and eligible dependents.

Contact the Employee & Family Assistance Program by phone.


University of Alberta Protective Services (Safety Planning)

As peace officers, University of Alberta Protective Services work to foster a safe and secure campus environment. Under the Code of Student Behaviour, members of the Protective Services team assist with investigations related to complaints of sexual violence. In addition to this, Protective Services can help members of the U of A community develop personalized safety plans - often working closely with units like the Office of the Dean of Students as part of interim measures or modification efforts.

Contact University of Alberta Protective Services by phone.

780-492-5050 (Edmonton Campuses)
780-608-2905 (Augustana Campus)


Offered by the U of A Students' Union, Safewalk is a free accompaniment service for anyone travelling on or around campus at night. Operating in teams of two, Safewalk volunteers are available to accompany anyone who may be uncomfortable walking alone.

Contact Safewalk by phone or book a walk using their online form.

Online Booking Form


Your safety matters, and modifications are one of the options that may help achieve this for you during your time at the University.  Modifications are adjustments that the university can make for survivors of sexual violence; they are intended to prevent further harm and aid the survivor in their recovery.

Modifications can relate to your academic program, employment, University residence, recreational programming, or other campus programming. Examples may include, but are not limited to:

  • Change in residence;
  • Change in class or work schedule;
  • Change in work assignment or location.
Depending on your needs as a survivor, modifications may or may not be implemented in addition to interim measures (which are applied to the person alleged to have committed the sexual violence). Modifications are typically explored following a disclosure and/or complaint.